Monday, October 27, 2008

320 5/23/1938 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Monday, May 23, 1938
Helen Erwin
1912 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minn.

My dear Helen:
Papa, Jim, Jack and I came up to the cabin yesterday. I am staying up here until Wednesday. Stella is bringing Bernice and Mrs. Jacobs up for the day tomorrow. The weather is grand. Hope it stays this way for a while. I am out under a tree writing. Have been outside most of the day. Thought I'd get a lot of letters written but waste too much time watching the river. Have never seen it higher than it is now. This warm weather is melting the snow fast. It is all gone off the top of Huckleberry Mountain. This morning quite a large tree went down the river.
Harold and Stella stayed up here Saturday night but went home last night. They went fishing for a little while Sunday morning. Last night we had a bonfire and roasted marshmallows which the boys liked.
We put our ___ and cream in the river to keep it cool. Last night we missed a cream bottle and thought it had been washed away, but afterwards found the bottle up by the door empty so knew old man dog Duke had taken it. He is so darn cute you can't get mad at him. When we eat he gets his pan and carries it in his mouth into the house so we will feed him.
A lot of bark and wood just came down the river and I had to go look at it. Wish you were here. You would just love this I know. Next weekend is a double holiday and we plan to spend it up here. Hope the weather stays like this. There is a nice breeze and it feels just right with a light sweater on.
I hope papa brings some mail to me tonight. I got both your air-mail letters Saturday. They were postmarked the 17th and 19th.
Yes, our papers have told about all the rains and floods you have been having. One night there was a picture of the washout in Hastings.
No, I did not have to take my dress in very much. It is always better to have it a little larger for it can be taken in and if it shrinks I can let it out. I like it real well.
I'll find out what size shirts and trousers papa wears before I write again.
Jimmie had a very bad cold but is feeling quite himself again. He lost one day of school. He still drives the car. Jack goes with Vivian and Jimmie with Mildred. We laugh at them for the four of them go out together. We think Jim likes Vivian's friend Gertie now. Friday night Jack and Jim went to the sophomore dance alone, didn't have money enough to take the girls. Jim said he never had so much fun in all his life. Saturday night he and Jack walked out to see Vivian and Gertie.
We had a spell 6 months ago when dogs had to be tied up but they are allowed to run now. A mad dog had come up from Kent and bit several dogs here so many people were forced to kill their dogs which made them feel pretty bad. It is crazy for anyone to want to harm the health inspector. He is only doing his duty but some people are that way.
We have promised the boys to play cards with them tonight. That reminds me I must fill the lamps and clean the chimneys.
Harold and Stella plan a lot of good times for you when you come home. Don't let it worry you if you don't have more than enough to get here.
Lovingly, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading