Friday, November 28, 2008

807 10/16/1946 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
Alexandria, Ohio
Wednesday, October 16, 1946
Albert Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert & Jim,
Your nice letter with Helen's came last night. Was very gald to hear from you.
Ben had his best night in a long time. I am working for him all the time and Roma and I feel he is much better. I talked to him last night and he smiled and nodded his head three times in answer to me. Roma says he loves C. S. and has read Science & Health thru at least three times. I showed the book to him and told him we were working for him and that he was going to get well. He smiled and nodded yes. He nodded his head first when I asked him if he knew me. Roma said he had said he was better this morning. He has not been talking for nearly a week. He eats well and we sat him up in the chair today for lunch.
She has been washing four to six sheets each day but today she had none to wash. In so many little ways we know he has changed for the better. Roma says I was God-sent and that I have lifted a big load off her shoulders. She was worn out and discouraged when I came. The doctor had told her there was nothing he could do and that Ben would never be any better. Ben is in no pain and since Roma has stopped the medicine to sleep, he sleeps better, his eyes are clearer and he watches both of us and we feel he knows me.
Elizabeth wants me to come to Detroit before I go back, but Roma is writing her now that she does not want me to leave a day sooner than I have to before going to Helen's. Elizabeth plans to come down this weekend so I will get to see her.
If Gladys comes up this weekend, let her read this. I have not written to the girls since I got here. I help Roma all I can. This morning I ironed so that is all done. I wash all the dishes and sweep around besides doing a lot of reading.
I am also feeling fine so know I am going to be all the better to work when I get home. Wish I had gotten all that rice and raisins bagged before I left.
No, I did not adopt a soldier boy this time. They were in the end of the car from me so did not talk to them.
Dr. Rose must like Jim a lot. Well, they are good company and he enjoys them too.
You will make a little extra in your milk and salmon which all helps. I read last night about meat being decontrolled. The paper here said everything would soon be taken off O.P.A. except rent and clothing.
Hope you did not give Mrs. Luke any choice things. She watches our place like a hawk. I'll be glad to start for home and will as soon as Ben is some better. I hope to be able to talk to him when I have come so far.
Much love, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading