Thursday, November 27, 2008

69 5/22/1946 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 281, Sparta Pike, Lebanon, Tennessee
Wednesday, May 22, 1946
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I haven't used the typewriter for a long time because the ribbon is so bad but I guess it will do for one more letter. I had a nice letter from you yesterday and am so glad you are having a good business. It will be nice when stock is easier to get won't it? The things you mentioned that you can't get there are short here too. They come in once in a great while and then the Ellis's save them for their best customers which includes me. They came over to see us Sunday night and I like them very much. There is a nice picnic grounds about six miles from Lebanon so Sunday we took our picnic lunch and went there. We also took Jack along and we had lots of fun. There is a nice playground there and a swimming pool and lodge and lots of things. Tomorrow it is Mary's birthday so after naps I am going to take her and Jimmie and Jack over there to play for a while. I am going to take Mary's cake along and we will eat that there.
That was strange how you heard about Andy getting in trouble from some stranger. I think I told you Betty was expecting another baby didn't I, in July? I've been meaning to write and tell Glad about their house, I thought just something might possible come of it but I'll tell you because I don't think I will get a letter written to Glad tonight. It's just that Betty and Andy hope to move back to Minneapolis if they can find a place to live there so I thought Glad and Cully might be interested in their house in Seattle if Cully plans to work around there. Of course I don't know a thing about Betty and Andy's plans but it might turn out to be something.
Mrs. Jackson is going along the same as usual. I feel sorry for her. She never has any fun and with all those five kids I don't see how she stands it. I really don't think she is so bad. Different men stop over there that she has known for a long time but she doesn't let anyone in. She seems to mind her own business and keeps her kids at home so they won't bother anyone. Jack, of course, comes over here and if the others want to come she lets one come at a time and stay a while and then that one has to go home and then another one comes.
I'm trying to break Jimmie away from going over there though. It's so dirty, although she tries to keep her house clean but just the same some one is always sick and I just don't like to have him over there.
The new little house next door to us is just about finished and do you know there is no bathroom in it and they are going to have an outside toilet. And so far the owner doesn't think he will run any water to the house. Lots of houses along here have no water on their place of any kind so have to borrow every bit from the nearest neighbor who has some. Everyone has wells here. We are the last house on Sparta Pike to have city water and lights. Some people down the road think they are going to rent the new house. They have four boys and are just like the rest of the people around here. Anyway I'm letting it be known that whoever moves in that house isn't going to get water from me. That sounds mean but I couldn't stand having someone running in and out all the time every single day. Elmer said if they wanted water from us they could pay for having an outside faucet connected at the side of our house, where there is a place for it. It wouldn't cost much to have it done. Anyway it is silly to worry about it because they might have water of their own.
The pictures of Jimmie and Mary still haven't come so I wrote a letter to the studio today as it is in another town. I got another roll of films downtown today so will get some more pictures taken. My camera takes number 620, mom, so I probably couldn't use the ones you have. I wish I could though as film is so hard to get.
Saturday Jimmie and Mary and I drove into Nashville to meet Elmer. We didn't do much. We had lunch there and walked around a little and then came on home. The car sure runs and sounds wonderful. We can only drive it 35 miles an hour until we have gone 300 miles and it certainly is hard to keep it down to that when it goes so nicely.
My last permanent didn't turn out so well so I am having a time with my hair and I won't pay ten dollars at the beauty shop for a bunch of fuzz. I have been wearing my hair in a pageboy style because it stays best that way since there is no curl in it. I read in this month's Good Housekeeping that these cold wave permanents shouldn't be used. Neither the home ones or from the beauty parlor because they contained some chemical that could damage the hair by making it fall out or do something to it, so I guess I won't try any more. Elmer was going to give me one but I'll just let my hair be straight until you can get good ones at the beauty shop at cheaper prices.
I still haven't had any party but still talk about it and maybe will get around to it one of these days. I've adjusted myself by now in not doing much or seeing anyone so it's an effort to get out of my rut. However I plan soon to go see that woman down the road I recently met and liked.
Jimmie, it isn't just Enumclaw where the social life is dead because everyone says that about every place. I don't know why but it seems to take more now to make a person have an exciting time.
Mom, we are getting that book you read, The Egg and I, from the book club. It is one of the best sellers of the month. The preview about it sounded real good and I will especially like it as it is about Washington and Oregon isn't it.
Well Folks, I guess I had better stop for now and get to bed a little earlier tonight. The last two mornings I have slept right through the alarm. Elmer woke up enough to turn it off and then go back to sleep.
I'm glad you liked the pictures of the kids and will have more to send you now that I have more films. Mary's hair is long enough to put in pigtails so I fix it that way now and it keeps it out of her eyes and looks cute too I think. I put a big bow on the end of each pigtail.
Well Folks, goodnight for now and I hope everything is still going fine for you.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading