Saturday, November 1, 2008

407 4/22/1941 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Tuesday, April 22, 1941
Helen Carlson
710 Montgomery, Laurel, Maryland

My dear Helen,
Mrs. Radcliffe and I had a nice time at the beach today with Mrs. Swain. Alma Madsen came too. We did not know Mrs. Swain had invited her so were surprised when she drove up. Alma lives in Tacoma so we do not get to see her often.
The day turned out lovely. This morning it was foggy here, but by the time we got down there it had cleared away.
Stella went into Seattle today with Bernice Allen. They were to come back and have lunch at Kent with some friend of theirs and play cards this afternoon.
Jimmie was out to Armstrong’s tonight. He goes out there often. He likes them, but says they are just friends. Jack and Gertrude were there too. Jim took Shirley to the dance last Friday night, but says he does not like her anymore.
I am going to go thru some of your unanswered letters. If some of the answers are late you will know why. Jim will graduate June 6th. He missed just one week of school when he went to Spokane. Today he, Jimmie Thompson and Katherine Roan played a trio for the Progressive Club. I belong to the club, but had forgotten it was Club day when I promised to go to the beach. The ladies told Papa afterwards that they played just grand. The three are used to playing together.
When you see Dorothy Dew, tell her I am sorry she got married before coming west to see me. I think it is grand you can see them often and that you like them and they are so nice to you. Isn’t it strange how things work out. At least it’s nice to have someone near that is truly interested in you. Jeannette would do anything for you as much as a real Aunt would. I am going to write her a card tonight just to let her know I appreciate all she has done.
Are the Andersons you wrote about Elmer’s mother’s cousin?
I wonder if you will hear anymore from that Elwood job. They keep Elmer busy answering these job letters.
Bernice plays with some little girls older than she so might have learned from them about making mud pies, but little kids all do about the same thing whether they play with other children or play alone.
Yes, I feel much easier at reading now. The Church was full Easter, but I just don’t see people at all, when I look up I look above them, and my mind is on what I am doing. No that was not a dumb question about my dress. Readers always, before Mrs. Collins, dressed at home. Then she left her dress at home and went up early and dressed there. When Sara Gossard substituted she did it that way too because Mrs. Collins did, but Mrs. R. and I dress at home, so we go up there and leave there with our long dresses on. I like it better because this way I do not mess up my hair, and if I leave home looking alright I have nothing to worry about. Papa drives right to the back door, so I have only a step before I am in the church. I always leave one half hour before the services start, have time to put my books out on the desk and never have to feel hurried.
I am anxious to hear where Lee is sent to Camp. If all Christian people would do their part they could help this world condition so the wars would stop and our boys would not have to go to war. Feel you are helping every time you read your lesson. Truth always wins.
Tomorrow is the day the girls are coming to your place. Hope you have a nice time. You may think of it, but will mention it anyway. If you should spend a weekend, one or many, at Jeanette’s beach home it is always correct to take something toward the eats. It makes it so much easier for the hostess and one is more apt to be invited more often.
Stella will make use of the suit alright if you really want to send it. I am glad you like the Koenigs. Does he get to come home every night?
As I go over your letters I see the Andersons must be the relatives of Elmer’s you mentioned. It is nice you got to go in again and could see more of the sights in Washington.
We have the magnolia trees out here and they are in blossom now too. We saw so many Sunday. They grow along the Sound. I had hoped to see the Rhododendrons in bloom over on the Canal, but it is a little early for them there although the ones in the yards and parks have been out for several weeks.
You have added a lot of states to your list since you left here a year ago in January. It will not seem quite so all new if Mr. Recroft goes with Elmer on the job to South Carolina. You should write to the Bus Company in Washington and ask them what their summer rates out here are. Mrs. Swain’s sister went from Seattle to Southern California through the southern states then to the New York Fair and home through the northern states for 50.00. Her ticket was good for 6 months and as many stopovers as she wanted.
Papa was born in St. Peter, Minnesota. Lived in St. Paul for a while when two years old. Went East later. Ruth and Carl were born in Bridgeport. Do not remember if Mary was or not, will ask Papa when he wakes up. I just asked him and he said she either was born shortly before or right after they moved there. He is not sure. He lived there until nine years old. His father worked in a factory and was killed 3 months before Ruth was born. After her birth Grandma moved back to her folks in St. Peter. Will quit now.
Much love, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading