Friday, November 28, 2008

97 5/18/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Sunday, May 18, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I can't find the fountain pen so will have to use pencil. I wrote to Aunt Ruth last week but she had been in St. Louis alright and had just gotten back. I had told her if another Sunday would be better for her to let me know so she said she would like to make it another Sunday soon so she could have the Matz family and grandma over too. She said her house needed cleaning first but we will get together on a Sunday. It is a good thing it was called off because the generator burned out on the car yesterday so I have to take it to the garage tomorrow. Another thing. Elmer unloaded concrete blocks for two hours yesterday over at the hole in the ground so today his back is so sore he can hardly move.
I'm still a pretty busy person. Friday I went to a luncheon up in North Minneapolis and Friday night I had Jim and Zora over for bridge and we had a good time. Saturday night we went to a dance with Bob and his girl. His girl is Polish and her two sisters and mother went along too. The dance was at a place where all the Poles go but we had lots of fun.
I have a dentist appointment with Vernie Tuesday. I hope I don't need too much done.
Fishing season opened today so Mr. Carlson went about three O'clock this morning with Pierce, Nellie's husband. He hasn't put the foundation in the house yet because he is so busy so I don't know when it will be put in. There are several cottages for rent out at the lake but for a thousand dollars the season which is way too much.
We just went out and bought a chest of drawers. I still have all our things in suitcases as I didn't have enough drawer space so looked in the paper today and answered an ad. It is a god solid one with five big drawers and it sold for twelve dollars which wasn't bad.
Florence and her little girl Barbara are here as Florence left her husband Friday. They haven't gotten along for a long time now. Florence doesn't know what she is going to do yet but left for the weekend anyway. Her husband, Art, is just swell to everyone else but doesn't even speak to Florence.
I would like to see the wedding pictures. Even though there aren't enough for everyone, maybe I could get one and then send it back. If you haven't sent me my things I left behind yet, take out that coat of Jimmy's and just send the suit coat as the other coat is too small for him. I'll get your watch, curlers and scarf sent back soon too but am having the watch fixed for you. It was swell having it on the train. Al Sleizer is going to fix it so it won't go so fast.
The golf clubs came last week so Elmer hopes to play soon. Pop, Elmer could tell how much time you spent on them wrapping them. Gosh I didn't even realize you had wrapped each club separately like that. That small key you found in an envelope goes to my overnight case. I never use it though.
If you haven't bought a canister set yet let me know and I will buy one here. I can get it wrapped for mailing at the store I buy it at.
I just read your letter over and see you had the box ready to mail so I'll just hang on to the coat until I find someone who can use it.
I'm glad the kids just rented their cabin. It's so beautiful up there I hated to think of their selling it. I saw Mrs. Dahlstrom the other day and she was sorry they even rented it. I had a nice afternoon with her. We walked over to Riverside Park which is just two blocks from her house. The kids had fun on the swings and teeter totters. Later we went back to the house for coffee.
It's really not bad here living at Elmer's house. I don't have to do a thing except take care of my room and the kid's room so I'm never here. I know so many people and someone is always calling wanting me to come over. My calendar looks as marked up as Stella's. I'm still mad at Elmer though for not coming out to Washington.
Elmer's mother is getting along fine. She is good to the kids and takes care of them when we go out nights but I always take them with me during the day. Mary speaks of you Mother, as her nice grandmother. I told her she shouldn't say that in front of this grandmother because this one feels bad when Mary says that so Mary calls you the grandmother who is her friend. The kids talk about you and Pop all the time.
Well Folks I will stop now and see if I can get another letter written.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading