Tuesday, October 21, 2008

746 12/13/1928 Gladys Erwin to Albert Erwin

Gladys Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, December 13, 1928
Albert Erwin
2206 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Papa,
Well, we got your letter a few minutes ago, with the check. I didn’t go to school this afternoon as I have had kind of a cold and sore throat but I just finished reading the lesson and feel better.
This next Sunday Houstie, Bernice and George and I are going up in the mountains in the Flower Truck to have some fun in the snow. We will go right after church. We will eat too, before we go. I think it will be lots of fun.
We have been busy with our Senior Ball lately. We are supposed to work both Saturdays and Sundays. I am going to work there a while on Saturday. It sure is going to be swell. The orchestra will play inside of a big fireplace.
Smiths are going to Seattle and invited me to go along with them. They will leave Saturday morning and not come back till Sunday afternoon, but of course I won’t be going. She thought I would like to see the windows and all the decorations.
George gained 2# over last weekend and he says he certainly is being treated swell at our house. He slept until almost noon last Sunday.
I am still getting A’s in my History but have fallen down a little in my French so I dropped orchestra. Now there are 2 violins and a piano left. Not much of an orchestra. I didn’t need the credit anyway so thought I had better put that time in on my French.
I bought George a necktie for Christmas. It is real swell. Helen picked it out for me. It is real bright with lots of different colors.
Say, will you send me your phone numbers so I can tell Sid Mullins what they are. He said he would call you up at Christmas time. He will be leaving a week from Friday so there is enough time. If we had enough money I would come back and keep house for you. Mamma said she thought it would be even cheaper for the 2 of us to live on because we could get our meals at home. I sure would like to do that, and then I could graduate in a city high school too. Besides it would make company for you. So if you strike a gold mine, send for me and I’ll come.
Do you suppose you could get me two of those little 10¢ pins like Mamma got back there this summer? If so I would like to have them so I could give them away for Christmas. Marian Hanson is crazy about mine so I would like to surprise her, also I would give Edith one as she always gives me something for Xmas. It will be alright though if you can’t get them.
Mamma has already given me my present. The girls got galoshes but I preferred a pair of shoes. I got black patent-leather pumps with a silver buckle. We got them in Rackdale’s for $4.98. I like them real well and I will have them to take to Canada with me.
Well, I hope to hear from you soon.
Mamma will write a note too, to send with this.
With Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading