Sunday, November 30, 2008

163 5/13/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Thursday, May 13, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just finished typing my labels so will write to you now. Did you have a nice Mother's Day, Mother. When I was wrapping your nightgown I noticed it was dirty on the bottom of it. I hadn't noticed it before or I would have taken it back. I hope it will come out when it is washed. Gladys said they planned to be in Enumclaw that weekend so maybe you were all together. You will be getting busier at the store all the time now that summer is coming. We have had chilly weather but it warmed up pretty much today. We have our yard graded now and it looks so much nicer. Now when we get some grass out here it will make the house look nice.
George is due back next week. There are several places in the paper every night for rent but all of them are way over a hundred a month and no children allowed so I don't know where he will find a place. Ever since the war George has been away from his family most of the time because of the housing problem.
Last Saturday night we had a shower for Dolores, Bob's wife, over at Nellie's. The fellows though were over here, and they played cards. Anyway Saturday afternoon Dolores went to the hospital but we had the shower anyway but didn't open the presents, instead everyone just told what they brought. Sunday afternoon Dolores went back home again as nothing happened. It is only eight months so she might wait her full time. Anyway when she went she was having pains and even the doctor thought the baby would be born that night.
Yesterday I went down to the office for the first time in ages. There were so many new girls I hardly recognized anyone. We have a delivery boy who picks up and delivers the work so there is no need in going down to the office but yesterday they called all the home typists down. Just to see us I guess. Miss Lindeberg has to quit a year from June as they have to leave when they reach 65. Everyone has an eye on her job but they brought in a new girl to train her for it. Mollie Anderson, Gladys knows her, has worked there so many years she is practically one of the pictures and she is to be retired the end of this month. I talked to her yesterday and she almost cried telling about it. She is an old maid and lives with her old maid sister, who is an invalid. Mollie just loves going to the office and it is their only means of support so I don't know what they will do now, although Mollie will get a small retirement salary every month, and she is going to start doing home typing too.
The city is beginning to look pretty now that everything is turning green and the trees are getting thick. Tomorrow Mary and I are going to visit kindergarten and both the kids are so excited about it. There are only eleven more days left of school. Mary and I are going to ride the bus with Jimmy as he thinks that is so wonderful, he wants us to know all about it.
I have been taking quite a few pictures now. This one I am sending is horrible of me and I really don't look that bad, but am sending it because I think Mary looks a lot like Gladys in this picture. I'll send more pictures when I get some good ones. Did Ruth get Gary's picture taken yet. Would love to see him.
I have to fix my hair tonight so it will look decent to go to school tomorrow so had better stop for now but I hope you folks are fine.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading