Saturday, October 25, 2008

310 2/15/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Monday, February 15, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
It’s been so long since I have written that I do not know where to begin. We have had several nice letters from you too. I have been very, very busy. Last Thursday morning Miss Peterson from our mailing department came over and asked if I would be able to help out over to Knox Reeves Advertising Co. Of course I did. Their office is in the New Chamber – Pop remembers I think how nice it is there too. I stayed up through Saturday and I certainly did like it. I typed most of the time and then also learned how to operate their ditto machine. I surely would like to go again sometime and maybe I will.
Thursday night Irma came home from work with me and we went to the lecture. It was by Hill from Los Angeles and was wonderful. He was so clear and easy to understand. Irma enjoyed it very much and it made her mother happy to have her go.
Friday night I went home for dinner with Cully and then to the game. They played Minneapolis and had a tough game. They always get rough when those two teams play. St. Paul finally won after an overtime period, 2-1. Saturday I met Cully downtown. He went over to the Grand Central Market with me and I bought some groceries, then home. Elmer came over later. We put the boys to work for the rest of the day and then let them stay for supper. We had a lovely pork roast with carrots and potatoes and baked apples for dessert. Gosh it was good. We had enough left over for our dinner yesterday.
Yesterday Helen, Elmer and their gang went bowling downtown. Helen said she had a lot of fun. Cully and I went skating at Nicollet Park for a while and then watched the hockey game there. His young brother plays on Pillsbury’s team and they played against Ewald Brothers. Pillsbury’s won the game. After that we went downtown to the Century and saw Lloyd’s of London. It is a wonderful picture. I hope you can see it too.
Tonight Helen and I are both staying home.
I surely will get the pictures finished up right away for you – and call it a valentine. Too bad I haven’t done it before. When I send the pictures I will enclose the negative of George and Jean. Cully gave me a 2 lb box of Fanny Farmer chocolates in a heart box.
We had a couple real nice days. It has been thawing and everything. Now it is getting colder again and supposed to snow.
Who is the Rainier girl who married Bernard Swift? I don’t believe I know her. They must both be very young.
Yes, we are on the first floor and Eden on the same side above us.
I washed clothes Friday afternoon as I got out at noon – on account of Lincoln’s birthday. There was nothing to it. They have a Maytag machine. It is easy to run and only takes a short while. I didn’t mind it at all.
Yes, Addie told me about getting all your letters. It pleased her so much. I talked to Mrs. Jensen the next day or so and she told me again how happy it had made Ad to get them. It surely would be nice for Jim to come back here in 1938 to see the football game but maybe he had better come his first chance because perhaps we won’t be here that long.
Where I worked the last part of the week is where Florence Bott works. I told her I’d tell Stella hello for her. She isn’t going with any fellow yet and I can’t understand it because she is just darling. She is a nice girl too and dresses lovely. She said Jean Warner isn’t working again. I guess she has a hard time to hang on to her jobs.
I bought a very simple pattern and am going to get some print material next. I will go home with Irma from work some night and she is going to help me cut it out and make it. She makes all of her own clothes. I have made up my mind I might as well learn how too. I may not ever be very good at it but it is nice to know something about it anyway. Have you the pattern yet of my blue seersucker dress? The one we made in one afternoon. Remember? I believe you got it from Charity Fonda. I’d like to make another one like it for summer.
I am not going to buy very much for spring. I want to save money and I can get along someway by fixing up the old clothes. These few nice days have sort of given us the spring fever. We will no doubt have plenty more winter, though, because we usually do.
Jim’s basketball team must be pretty good. I am glad they beat Auburn.
How about the dress shop? What did you decide?
My being away those few days helped, I guess. Mr. Saunders has been just swell today.
Well, I will stop and try to write a note to Bill. I hear from him seldom and have kept losing interest in him. He likes Philadelphia, though, and seems to be getting along fine.
Have you written to Adelyn Pearson?
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading