Wednesday, October 22, 2008

762 6/7/1929 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Friday, June 07, 1929
Albert Erwin
2206 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Albert,
At last I have found time to write you. Your Sunday night and Monday night letters received and enjoyed by all.
Gladys graduated last night. She sat in the front row and was the first to receive her diploma. I think you would have felt very proud of her if you could have been there. There were lots of favors for the graduates. I don’t believe a class here has ever had so many as the class of 1929. Last night about 6, I had Helen go over to Mrs. Van and call Mrs. Allen by phone and order a 1.00 bouquet for Gladys. Mrs. Allen fixed 9 beautiful roses for her. Mrs. Kling sent her flowers and a pretty silk handkerchief. Bernard Jost gave her carnations and the Allen girl and Bernice Benson gave her a bouquet of rose carnations and snapdragons together, so she was very happy. Yesterday Mrs. Osborne came down with a leather-bound memory book. Mrs. Van Patten came in with pink silk underwear, Mrs. Gossard with a little Science Book, “Unity of Good” by Mrs. Eddy. Mrs. Schweikl and sister Selma gave her silk stockings. Lily sent her silk stockings, Aunt Ruth a pair of silk bloomers. Bernice Benson gave her silk ankle socks to match her yellow dress and the Wilsons gave her a cut glass candy dish. She got letters and greetings form others. And of course, the five dollars from Mrs. Swain. She feels happy and satisfied over it all and now wants to go on to school this morning after their report cards and to say good-bye. As she came down, Lee was waiting for her. Asked her what she intended taking at the “U” and she told him a teacher’s course. He congratulated her and told her, that if he was here, to come back when she was thru and he would place her in the Enumclaw School.
Now, for the other two, Well, they passed, of course, much to Helen’s surprise. And she has been studying the enrollment card for next year. She is sure now that she wants to go to High School.
We tried to leave Jimmie home last night but he insisted on going to see Gladys graduate, but got so tired that he says he is not going again, not even to see Helen graduate.
The picnic was a disappointment, it rained hard most of the day so the children had to stay at school.
I got a letter from Annie today. She said little Lois had been sick. She had tried to help her but after three days they had called in a doctor. He called it appendicitis and it had broken so he was operating right away. Said she wished I had been in the Cities. That she would have called me and had Science help instead of a doctor. The little girl seems to be getting along as well as can be expected. Lois is the little girl that was liked so well.
That little lady that stayed with Mrs. ___, was a Mrs. Hartness. I hear she was in California. I think I had better stop writing. I make so many mistakes. Yes, Wheeler’s live up the McLory road.
Stella has had two new dresses made this springtime. I have cloth for two more which I expect to make soon.
I hope I will know soon what we will be doing. There are a few I should like to call on if I am leaving and I can’t leave everything for the last minute. Do you think I should see Mushlinski and see what they will give for the place? But if we sell I don’t know to do with all the stuff. It cost money to store it and it all isn’t worth shipping.
With love, Sadie.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading