Saturday, November 1, 2008

410 12/14/1941 Jim Erwin to Helen Carlson

Jim Erwin
506 Colorado Street, Pullman, Washington
Sunday, December 14, 1941
Helen Carlson
605 Nichols, Waycross, Georgia

Dear Helen,
Was glad to get your letter and know you are settled again for awhile.
The place you stayed in the first week really must have been an awful place.
This Friday our Christmas vacation starts. I haven’t found a ride home yet so might have to take the train. The train ride is a long and slow ride so hope I can get in a car going to the coast.
It seemed strange to have Enumclaw and the towns on the coast having blackouts and guarding the towns and cities. It will make the Christmas holidays funny too.
Yes, it seems swell that football season is over. Sometimes I hope I won’t have to turn out and then again I can’t wait so it will have to work out the best way.
Having stopped in Minneapolis and Chicago made your long ride much shorter.
My evershays came O.K. Mother said you probably picked it up by mistake.
Jack Thim wrote me a letter the other day and said he had been to Seattle to see Gertrude and on his way back to Bremerton (ferry) there was a blackout. He had to walk about a mile from the docks and was plenty scared.
This Saturday night there is the Senior Ball and on the 26th the W.S.C. booster dance at the Spanish Castle. I hope they will have them but they might not too.
The dollar was really a welcome one. It seems as though I ran out of everything at once. Thanks a lot.
Our basketball team played Montana in two games over the weekend. The first game we won by the score of 74-45. Saturday night we won 48-47. What a difference. The 2nd game was a swell game.
When I get home this weekend I’ll write to you again.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading