Tuesday, November 25, 2008

41 9/4/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Monday, September 04, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Monday Night
Dear Folks,
I haven't any decent writing paper left so will have to make this do. Sunday we went to church and Sunday school again and haven't missed a Sunday since we started. I talk to the other parents now who have children in Sunday school and recognize lots of people in church to say good morning to.
Elmer is staying home tomorrow and we are going into Knoxville to have Mary and Jimmie's picture taken. Also hope to buy a high chair. I'm going to start giving Mary pablum as soon as I can remember to buy it.
Saturday night we went over to Deans and played cards. Next Friday night there is a big Kellex dance so we are going with the Smyths next door and three other couples. I really need a new dress but don't think I will buy one this time.
Wed. Night
Here it is Wednesday night and I haven't finished your letter but will now. We went to Knoxville yesterday but didn't have the children's picture taken as I had no idea it was so expensive. What I wanted was to Jimmie and Mary taken together but they said Mary was too young to be taken with anyone. Having them taken separately would have cost almost sixty dollars and we couldn't see spending that much. I have two rolls of films which cost a dollar a roll so am going to get snapshots of them and have them enlarged and will get frames and I think they will be just as good.
Today was your birthday, Mom, so your present will be late but it's on the way. We bought a highchair yesterday and it will come out tomorrow. We aren't going to that dance Friday night after all because it costs five dollars a couple. That is supposed to include all the beer you want but Elmer said one glass would be all he would want and if I drank one glass that would be my limit so we decided to stay home and go on a picnic Sunday up at the dam. There is a place to swim there and it isn't far from here and would be fun for all of us. Most of the people here seem to drink and worry about how they can get their liquor past the gates. I sure am glad we aren't one of them. Elmer said at work fellows who managed to get bottles in sell it and can get any price they ask for it. Beer is allowed though. We don't even feel like asking other couples over at night because they would expect a highball or something, except the Deans, Davies and Hartmans, and the others from Lake Charles. Gosh in reading this over I sound like an old fogy.
Today I went to a bridge luncheon which was a shower on Irma Madre. I had a swell time and won first prize which was a box of candy.
I had a nice letter from Jim today telling about the robes he bought for us. He said to get together with you on the color we each wanted so you take the one you like the best. Now be sure you do because I don't care and I know they must both be lovely. Won’t it be nice having something from Burma?
School starts next Monday so I won't be able to go out anymore during the week and will have to do my shopping on Saturdays which is a mad house but I guess I'll manage.
Elmer is getting the chess board out and is hopefully wondering if I'm almost through writing so I guess I better stop and see if I can beat him before it gets too late. I hope you had a nice birthday, Mom, and I hope you are fine, Pop, and aren't working too hard. I suppose Glad is in Minneapolis this week.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading