Wednesday, October 29, 2008

383 2/15/1939 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Wednesday, February 15, 1939
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Since I last wrote I have done many exciting things. We were with Al & Ev Saturday night and planned a trip Sunday. We met them at the airport around noon and flew up to Lake Delavan, Wisconsin and went ice boating. It was a beautiful sunny day but windy. The trip was 90 miles by air. Coming back it took only 30 minutes. We were up over 8,000 feet and averaged 200 miles an hour. It sure was a thrill. Al is a wonderful pilot and I do not feel at all nervous with him. Ice boating is fun too. There were near 100 beautiful boats on the lake for the races. Two other planes also. We landed right on the ice. We could go about 60 miles an hour on the ice boats. It all excited me so I couldn’t sleep Sunday night. We came back just at evening time so had dinner at a nice place before coming home.
Monday night we had Earle Robinson, one of the hockey boys, over for dinner. We played Chinese checkers for a while and then went down to the 2nd floor where the hotel has a ping pong table. We played until 11 o’clock.
Tuesday, last night, we had Ruby and Baldy Northcott here for dinner. Later 13 of us went out to some people’s home for the evening. They are hockey fans and good friends of Art and Mary Ann. They have a beautiful $75,000 home. It was a mansion. They have a 30-tube radio. It was fun again. The people are very nice and common.
Tonight I am going to another beautiful home in Oak Park for dinner and a party. This Mrs. Sutton is a friend of Jenny Thompson and I have seen her a few times over at the Graemere. I thought it was awfully nice of her to invite me and I’m pretty lucky to get in on it.
The boys left this noon. I took Cully and some of the kids down. Ruby also took a carload. After the train left we decided to go sightseeing again and as long as it was so nice and clear we went up in the tower of Wrigley Building. You can certainly get a view of the city and the lake.
The team plays Detroit tomorrow night and then comes home Friday. I do hope they can win again.
Little Harold March is here visiting me and of course talks every minute. He is cute thought – 5 years old. His mother doesn’t feel very well so I invited him down here.
Helen wrote that she didn’t think she’d be able to get to Chicago this winter. I hope she can though.
It is a little cold here. About 20 above for when the wind blows it goes right through.
Monday I went to a turkey dinner and card party in the afternoon as guest of one of the ladies in the hotel. Her name is Mrs. Atkins. I had a nice time and met a lot of nice ladies.
I’ll close again for this time but will write soon. I hope I hear from you tomorrow.
Cully gave me a nice heart box of candy for Valentine’s Day. I was sure surprised but pleased. He isn’t very good at those things.
Love to all,
Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading