Tuesday, November 25, 2008

10 6/30/1944 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
Nortonia Hotel, Portland, Oregon
Friday, June 30, 1944
Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee

My dear Helen and All,
Arrived at 7:30 A.M. Train on time, although we were running an hour late all day yesterday.
I got along fine - although the train was terribly packed. So many women traveling with children.
I took a taxi to the hotel. Gladys had written for reservations for me last Saturday. Good thing that she did. I just heard the desk girl say that all their rooms were filled.
Our weather is perfect. I wear my grey coat and feel just right. It is cloudy, but clearing now. Just summer fog clouds that Portland usually has at this time of the year. The past two nights I slept with my coat over me - would have been cold without it.
The train was so terribly packed and people were sleeping on suitcases, in corners or wherever they could find a place. Felt fortunate to have a seat all the way through.
Gladys packed me a lunch although I didn't think I'd need one. Was very glad to have it before I got through. The train men were about crazy yesterday. Out of five coaches they filled three extra coaches, still each stop more people got on and the brakeman would say, "standing room only".
One thing I saw along the way that was good. At each place we made any length of stay there were canteens or U.S.O. stands for service men and women. You should have seen those boys run for the stands. They could help themselves to what ever they wanted and as much as they wanted.
Your letter received at Glad's is in my suitcase. Will answer it when I write again.
I'll stop now. Will go see if my room is ready. Will clean up, perhaps take a nap, and later go down through the stairs.
Want to call papa tonight. Am glad I came a day early. After a good sleep tonight I'll enjoy the meeting tomorrow.
My fare from Chicago home was only 50.00, or to be exact it was 49.97 so when I get home I am sending $25.00, the extra that you gave me.
It was so nice seeing you all. Little Jimmie is the only one I have not seen as a little baby. Wish we could live nearer so to see you all often. Little Mary will soon be six weeks old. It is grand for you that she is such a good baby and sleeps a lot.
I'll send you a quarterly Monday and also tell you of a wonderful experience the kids had right after reaching Chicago. It will make you want to read more than ever.
Much love to all. Mother

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading