Friday, November 28, 2008

107 7/7/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Monday, July 07, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I suppose you are busy as can be at the store. Do you stay open until ten o'clock at night? How are Jim and Ruth getting along. I hope Jim is happier than he was. Bob has gotten himself in the very same mess and acting just like Jim did. He says he is going to South America and if he ever gets out of this he will never look at her again. These crazy fellows, why are they so dumb? Bob's girl pulled the same story, that there was a safe time, but he should have known better. To make things worse he has just recently met a girl he likes very much. He is out with her tonight. He is about crazy thinking about getting married and I sure hope he won't have to. She is just a month along so maybe something will happen.
Have you heard anything about Beth? I wonder what will become of her now. Her husband must not have been able to stand how she acted any longer.
Morning:
Dear Folks, I will finish this before going to the post office. I have your watch ready to mail and I'm sure they will accept it this time.
Saturday Elmer, Art and Mr. Carlson worked on the house and got some of the studs up. The carpenters are supposed to finish the job they are on any day and then will start on the house. The couple who live next door to Nellie are very good Christian Scientists. Do you happen to know them because she reads at that Bethlehem Home in St. Louis Park. Their name is Scott and it seems as though there used to be Scotts at First Church. Mr. Scott is the superintendent of schools for Minneapolis. It will be nice having them for neighbors.
The puzzle came yesterday and Mrs. Carlson is so happy with it. When the postman brought it she hurried upstairs and handed it to me. I told her it was for her and helped her open it and she thinks it is wonderful. She is going to start it tonight. She told me she never writes letters so asked me to thank you for her.
We haven't been doing much of anything. I take the kids down to the lake just about every afternoon. They have an inner tube to play with and have lots of fun. The weather still hasn't gotten real hot so I think swimming is kind of chilly. The Minneapolis summers I remember have always been scorching but so far just warm days and cool nights.
Well Folks Mary and I are going to have a nap and then we'll go to the P. O. More later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading