Monday, October 27, 2008

363 11/6/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Sunday, November 06, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Ruby and I went shopping again today. While we were walking along our busy State Street in this big Chicago who should we pass but Gertrude Lanners. I knew it was her so turned and ran after her. She surely was surprised to see me because she thought I was out west. She asked about you folks and said to be sure to tell Al “Hello”. She likes Chicago but has been walking the street looking for a job. She has had temporary work from time to time but that’s all. She took my name, address and phone number and is going to call me. I have hers also and will invite her to a game some night soon. She said she’d love to go. It was lots of fun to see her and I just couldn’t get over it. It’s a small world after all.
Tonight some of us are going to play bridge at Margaret’s. She lives at the Graemere.
I enjoyed your nice long letter and will try to answer it before I have to leave.
I bought mother’s gift today and know she will like it. I’ve almost decided to send money for Jim’s present. I looked at ski pants and I can’t tell what he’d like. There are so many different kinds and some so terribly expensive. I can get him a dandy shirt for $3.95 (all wool) but I’ll see. If I sent the money maybe you would know better what he’d like and could buy it there. Stella and Harold could also help you decide. I’d like to have him surprised so don’t tell him.
Jim surely has been a busy boy. You can’t call him lazy.
What will the courier charge to have my papers sent? Let me know and I’ll pay you. Be sure you tell them the name is Dahlstrom instead of Erwin.
Cully had my coat insured. They talked us into it and I guess it is okay because it includes summer storage too. I will leave it here when we leave for Minneapolis. He said I might as well for then we won’t have to worry about it at all. If anyone wants it they can take it.
Your eye healing was a beautiful demonstration. Mrs. Smith has lots of truth and I feel as though she could do me lots of good. Some I wouldn’t trust very far – I’d rather just do my own work. I’ve been protected against so much and feel that is worth more than actual healings.
I had a letter from Lucille. Just a short one asking me to write. She sent me the new map that I did so much work on and said they had some good stump land that would be good for Cully to buy up and save to live on in his old age. They are all fine. I must answer it tomorrow. The boys left yesterday.
Tomorrow Polly has the afternoon off. I’m going to meet her downtown and shop around and then she’s coming home for supper with me.
Thursday evening we are having dinner at Mary Ann’s and then will play bridge again.
Tonight you are entertaining the Boh’s, hope all went well. Do you play cards?
I wonder if Martels really built or not. I’m glad they have their new home.
Later
It is late. We played cards and had lunch and then just sat and talked. Our boys were beat again 2 – 0. I’m afraid it will cost someone their job. They will have to make some changes soon.
We each put in a quarter every time we play. First prize is 75¢ and second, 25¢. So far I’ve always had high score, so feel rich when I come home. That 75¢ tonight will go in for Christmas presents. I don’t know what in the world to get for Helen.
Well, folks, it is late so I’d better get to bed.
I’m enclosing a few Red Cross stamps – I have more than I can use. I found the whole $2.00 worth laying right out on the sidewalk as we left the hotel the other night. They weren’t even in an envelope, so I might as well keep them and use them.
I’m also enclosing $4.00 for Jim’s ski outfit for his present. Don’t get anything right away because maybe Helen will send money too. I hope you can get something real nice.
Write soon,
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading