Monday, October 27, 2008

351 11/16/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Helen Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Wednesday, November 16, 1938
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Helen:
I surely was glad to get your nice letter. I should have answered before but seem to keep awfully busy.
Wally left yesterday noon. Cully had to practice so I took him to the station. He is a swell kid and certainly did have a good time. He rode on the new streamline streetcar, the 2-story buses, the elevated and even went for an airplane ride.
This Al Sporrer took us up Monday for a 25 minute ride. We went about 65 miles all over the city and out over Lake Michigan. Gee it was a swell ride.
There is something going on here all the time. I’m sure having a good time myself. Cully is so darn swell. I hope you can come down some weekend soon. Maybe I will go to Minneapolis for Xmas if you don’t come here. Cully says it would be nice if you’d come to Chicago sometime when he is here too so you can see a game and take you out and show you around.
We are going out for dinner tonight with some friends of Cully’s. I’m getting my hair fixed now. It’s a nice shop and cheap. Only 50¢ for shampoo and finger wave.
Thursday
Didn’t get this finished so will add some more now while my potatoes are cooking.
Tonight is the big game. I sure hope they can win again. We are having some of the kids up to our apartment afterwards instead of going out. I bought some stuff to make sandwiches, etc.
I’m glad you like it out there only it is too bad you can’t see Elmer more. What do you do Saturday nights? And do you mind taking the streetcar after school? How’s your shorthand coming – are you learning it good?
I’m glad you’re having your coat fixed and hope they do a good job. $20.00 is plenty to pay when you aren’t getting any new fur. I’m going to get a new coat next pay day – just a plain black cloth one. Fur coats are so darn expensive and we want to get so much stuff like a movie camera, etc. so I’ll wait for another year or so for a fur coat. That’s how it is after you get married but I’m sure not kicking. I think I’m pretty lucky to have things so nice. We are planning more and more to go west as soon as hockey is over.
I got my Xmas cards from Stella and I like them a lot.
Our weather has been perfect only it looks like it will get cold and snow tonight.
I can’t think of much to write about but if there is anything you’d like to know just ask me a bunch of questions and I will answer them.
I’m having Thanksgiving dinner with Cully and Hulger. Where will you be? Remember the year we had about 3 places to go and didn’t want to go to any of them?
I’m sending you a schedule so you can see when Cully is in town and when and plays, etc.
I like Chicago lots and sure hope you get down to see our cute apartment, etc.
What are you sending the folks for Xmas? Let’s get Jim a pair of trousers and wool shirt for skiing? How about Stella and Harold, etc. and yourself – what do you want or shall I send cash?
Write soon – Hello to Elmer.
Love, Glad.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading