Monday, November 17, 2008

579 4/24/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Monday, April 24, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Glad and Cully are probably out there by now unless they stayed longer in Minneapolis than they planned too. It’s too bad they won’t be spending the summer at their cabin.
How are you getting along, Pop? I’ll probably get a letter tomorrow and I hope it will say you are all right now. Mom, if you come bring all the cotton house dresses you have because it’s already hot here and that’s all you’re going to want to wear. The nights are still cool and I hope they still will be in June. My laundry woman is going to try to get me a colored girl to do the housework and I hope she can.
I had a letter from Jim last week but of course he couldn’t tell me anything as his mail was censored. He said he was on the Atlantic Coast but not in New York. He certainly was glad he got to talk to you folks.
I’ve been busy making sun suits for Jimmie. I have finished three and have material for three more and then am going to make him some cool pajamas. If I had a sewing machine I could do it all in a couple of days but it still doesn’t take so long by hand as there isn’t much to it. Little suits just like I’m making cost three and four dollars in the store here and the material is terrible. Today Jimmie didn’t wet his pants a single time so I feel a little encouraged. He only told me about three times though and the rest of the time I just put him on.
Gillards sell us all the fresh eggs I need from their chickens and tonight they came up and said they would get me all the fresh milk I wanted from Mr. Gillard’s brother’s cows. I’m especially glad for that because the milk in the stores here isn’t good.
A man at work who lives next door to Frances told Elmer today that Frances had quite a lot of mail for us at the house, so she never did forward it after saying she did. We are going after it tomorrow night. My bassinette still hasn’t been returned either so we are going to get it too. Jimmie said the other day if I brought a baby home he would throw sand on it. It reminded me of Bernice saying she would throw the baby in the garbage can.
Jimmie and Elmer are already in bed and asleep so guess I will go too. I have only five weeks left to wait now. I hope you can come, Mom, and I hope you are well by now, Pop.
Love, Helen
morning
letter just came from you both

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading