Thursday, October 23, 2008

282 10/19/1936 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Monday, October 19, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I'll have to write on just scraps of paper because we are just about all out. This is all we have left.
Mother, do you remember when I was there we read in the paper one day that a boy was seen on a street car in Minneapolis carrying a suitcase that had blood dripping out of it? Well he was caught. He was just being initiated into a fraternity at the U and that was one thing they made him do. That wasn't even blood dripping out of the suitcase it was just something they had fixed up.
Saturday I went down to register. I'm glad I will get to vote. Sunday Gladys and I went to church, and then ate at a little place a block from church that we like a lot. In the afternoon Glad and Dorothy went out and looked around a little for apartments.
The lady I met on the train who has the two sons she wants me to meet called me up Sunday. She wants Glad and I to come over some evening. I think it would be nice.
Thursday Elmer and I are going over to Eden and Wally's house for dinner. Jim, I'll ask her about your airplane then. I still haven't priced helmets yet, Jim, but I will.
I hope you had a nice birthday, Pop. I am going to send you something next Monday. That's a week away yet but it will still be your birthday present.
On Thursdays we always get out early so I plan to go over to Honeywell this Thursday and see about getting a job. Then I'm going to keep on looking and I hope I will find something.
Mother, remember the day that the little Buck girl came over and sold us that Blue Jay? Well I must have put it right in my purse because I have it.
[Gladys continues
]
I just read Helen's letter, and thought I'd add a little more.
Sunday at church I saw Margaret Skare to talk too and also Mr. Scott. He is always so nice and asked all about you. He said he'd like to have you here. We hurried out so didn't talk to anyone else.
Last week I sent the sports sections and at least one letter that you should have gotten. Gosh, I had a little note in the paper too and if they find it I'll probably be serving a little time.
I wrote one letter telling about meeting Helen and all those that were at the Station, etc. I can't understand that you didn't get it.
It is dark and dreary today. The wind is blowing hard. It's a good day to stay inside.
I'll be sending out my old red wool dress to Stella. I thought I could fix it up but I can't. I took the ties off and was going to wear a leather belt. I also took off the buttons and was going to get a collar and cuff set but after all that I tried the dress on and it is too small. I guess I didn't ruin it anyway.
Guess I'll have to stop again.
Lovingly, Gladys
Is Jim taking music lessons?

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading