Sunday, November 9, 2008

498 6/10/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Thursday, June 10, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just got Jimmie to bed so will write to you now. Last night we went to a barbecue and it was lots of fun. Everyone brought their own chicken but the ones who gave it furnished everything else. We all went out to the park where they have big barbecuing pits and the chicken really tasted wonderful. Even out at the park we didn’t have to clean up after ourselves because there is a colored man there who clears off the tables and just cleans up everything. Did I tell you that these southern women even have colored men come and do their packing for them when they move.
This afternoon it rained and when it stopped Jimmie wanted to go outside so bad so I let him but in five minutes time he was soaked because he played in the puddles and sat in them and had a lot of fun and in a little while I brought him in and put him in the tub. He just hates to stay inside.
Yesterday the field superintendent called Elmer into his office and told him he was going to Lake Charles and would like Elmer to go down there and work for him. Elmer said he wouldn’t mind going to Lake Charles so much except for the housing situation and he said we wouldn’t have to worry about that because the company would find us a place. Elmer told him about how he was kind of waiting to hear about the job in Washington. Elmer has to stay on here anyway until they are finished because he couldn’t get a release until they are all through. We haven’t heard anything yet from the White River but I’ve been watching the mail everyday. It is almost certain though if we stay with this company we will go to Lake Charles but I don’t care now because so many are going who I know and if they find us a place to live it wouldn’t be so bad.
I had a nice letter from you yesterday and one from Glad the day before. I sure would love to get out there and Elmer would too. We had another letter from Bob and he said they were living in the luxuries of a pup tent now. He said for weeks and months they had slept in wet ditches without a thing to throw over him. He said he wished John L. Lewis had to spend just one night that way to see how it really was.
The reason I put three stamps on that letter to you awhile ago was because I had the two on and Elmer was driving me down to the P.O. and Jimmie tore one off. All the stickum came off from the stamp but I put it back on anyway and then put an extra one on because I didn’t think the one that had been torn off would stay on. I told you about the trial with Mrs. Walter didn’t I and how she didn’t want to go through with it. She has left now for Houston where she is going to live with her daughter. I bet all the tenants are glad she is gone. Sarah is beginning to like Wyoming better but they still haven’t found a place to live. Her brother is going home soon but is going to stop off and see Sarah on his way.
I can’t remember what that dark two-pieced dress is but if it looks good you might just as well send it because we will be here for awhile yet and I could get it fixed up. Ask Stella first though if she wants it, and don’t send it until you feel like it. You can plan on getting my 15 and 16 stamps. The stamps I just sent you are both good for five pounds each.
Annie is leaving the fifth for California. There is a family here who is going out there and they are taking both Annie and her husband. Her husband has already left and is getting defense work there and Annie will work for this family. I know she would have gone with me anyplace if I had asked her to. I don’t know what I would have done with her husband though and she probably wouldn’t want to leave him.
Florence still hasn’t had her baby, at least we haven’t heard yet. It is overdue now though so should come anytime. Nellie has had the mother out to her place a lot lately so I suppose she will keep her when Florence is in the hospital too. Florence doesn’t know when she will get to go to Canada but she said Art was good about writing.
Well Folks, I’m so sleepy because we were up late last night that I think I’ll go to bed and I’ll write more tomorrow.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading