Saturday, October 25, 2008

769 4/18/1937 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Sunday, April 18, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1912 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minn.

Dear Folks,
We have had several letters from you folks. We certainly are glad to get them. Well today you have been down to St. Peter and Waseca. I hope that you had nice weather. If they all got there you had a house-full.
The passing parade program just told about Mr. Foshay being out of prison and back in St. Paul looking for work.
Jim and I went to the last show last night then came home and sat around and talked so didn’t get to bed until about 12:30 so I didn’t get Jim up this morning and was a little late myself.
I got along a little better today and hope that I may do better from now on. We had another very busy day yesterday. I was good and tired last night.
Jim scrambled eight eggs for our supper. We also had toast and bacon, tea and bananas. We had our dinner today at Stewart’s.
It rains so much that it’s hard to get things done outside but we did get most of the grass cut today and some of the junk in the back yard chopped up.
I think that the Swains went to the beach last night. If some company didn’t arrive they intended to go to Tacoma to hear Peter Ross this afternoon.
I will have my coffee book full when I grind 10 lbs more. I think that I am ahead of the rest of the bunch.
I think that Ben will be in Seattle tomorrow. He expected to stay at the beach and go to Seattle from there.
Mickey traded his old car in for a 1934 Chevrolet sedan. It is in swell condition. Had gone 20,000 miles. They put on new tires for him. He paid or is to pay $350 besides his old car. He certainly is tickled and I don’t blame him.
Harold and his bunch left early this a.m. for Paradise. They may have had nice weather. It didn’t rain here until about 1:30 p.m.
The Hawthorns and Bill Gossard were not at Sunday school. Today Mrs. B___ asked when you would be back. Alma had your class.
Mrs. B__ was in Saturday. I said hello Mrs. Magnuson, she just let it pass. Mother has no doubt had her visit with Beth by this time.
I dusted and cleaned up the house this afternoon. We keep the front of the house picked up all the time.
I noticed another rhubarb plant coming up today. One of the others is going to seed.
The sweet peas are coming fine. I sifted some loose dirt over them today and will do it again as soon as they come through. The pear tree should be in full bloom by the end of the week.
You know that bunch of daffodils out past the cherry tree. Well right in the bunch there is a stem full of a purple flower. Your raspberries are growing fine and our prune tree is budding out in fine shape. The yard looks better with the grass cut.
I don’t know what we would have done without the toaster. We use it for every meal.
I don’t think that Vaughn had any luck in Puyallup, it may be just as well.
I took Hess’s place in church again today. Radcliff told me that Al was back in town. He didn’t show up at church. The girl was in your class.
Well I can’t think of much more. Will finish in the morning.
I guess that we won’t get any milk Tuesday. We got 4 this morning and had a couple left over.
Jim says be sure and get the reeds for his instrument. Have you seen any of the 1st Church folks.
It was nice of Mrs. Merrill to thank you for bringing Hazel to Minneapolis. Have you seen Mrs. Leonard and Mrs. Prescott or Herb the shoe man, and have you been up past our old homes. Have you seen Swanson or the Popes and Knutson.
Well good night.
I took off 10% on the tax. It should have been 3%. Shows on the statement. I sent it in once but forgot to enclose the money order. Now it is all back again for 21¢ additional.
Good night.
P.S. The wash basin in the bathroom plugged up. I couldn’t get it open with that long jigger so took off the goose neck and still couldn’t get it open so hooked up the hose and turned on the water. That forced the water through. It is now ok.
Good night.
Dear folks,
You don’t have to wait until the last of the month to come home. We have been getting along fine though.
I don’t get home until about 5:30 after school so it makes it a little hard.
A bunch of the fellows who are turning out for track said for us (Richard Lamm and myself) to wear our old clothes. They were going to put us in the showers for initiation. We told them what we would do if they tried it. They haven’t tried anything for over a week now. Our first track meet is Thursday April 22.
Mother have you been over to see Mrs. Pope about my airplane yet. If not don’t forget. Don’t forget to get my reeds. Don’t forget to get the tennis racquet. If you didn’t get the hair tonic from Aunt Ruth don’t forget to get some. Don’t forget to see Mrs. Emmert and Mrs. Tripp.
In one of your letters you said that the Bushes wanted to go to New York in 1939 to see the World’s Fair. And would like to have us come back and go with them. You told them (we) would try or like to go with them. The point I am trying to get at, where do you get the (WE).
Don’t forget about all the forgets I wrote about.
Sleep tight. Love, Jim
6:20 am April 18th. Good morning. The fires are built and I will try and read some of the lesson. I got to bed around ten, Jim about 10:30 on account of writing to you folks. It is not raining but is cloudy and will no doubt rain soon. Jim went to the show last night. Swing High, Swing Low. He said it was swell. We saw Lloyds of London Saturday night.
We miss you folks a lot and will be glad when you get back.
How’s Speck’s weight and Beth too.
We have been asking a lot of questions. I must get busy now so will close with lots of love to you all.
Pop.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading