Wednesday, November 26, 2008

61 12/3/1944 Robert A Carlson to Helen Carlson

Robert A Carlson
In Italy
Sunday, December 03, 1944
Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Dear Helen & Elmer,
I'm starting a letter tonight but I can't promise I'll finish it. We've been eating from the package you sent me and all the guys said to be sure and write you soon cause there'll be a Christmas again next year. No kidding a snack of different food like that is really a treat. Somebody must have tipped you off as to what a guy wants after eating an Army diet for a few years. When I'm on "civvy" street again there's two things I'm gonna always have plenty of if it keeps me broke. That's good food and good clothes.
Also got a package from home which brings the Christmas spirit a little closer. LeRoy left for home and he may be there by Christmas. Fred Hoover also went home and maybe there by the time you get this. Don't mention it in letters though, cause I don't know if he informed anyone at home.
Looks like I'll be here till it's over cause a lot of fellows in Headquarters here came over in January and February of '42 whereas I didn't leave till April and of course they're entitled to go home first. The fact that fellows from other Divisions are going home after a year overseas doesn't seem to faze the Army.
Anytime you want to send me a can or two of anchovies or other delicacies you can consider me your slave for life. Are you getting a chance to go home for Christmas?
Our office is in a building now and we have a radio we bought so things aren't so had, but extremely boring. Seven days a week even in an office gets a little tiresome. I have visited Firenza (Florence, Italy) a few times but when you see one town over here you've seen em all. I got some good snapshots of Rome and vicinity but another kid took the pictures so I've only got one set, so I'm sending em home. The picture enclosed is an extra one. You can see I'm still bashful. I don't think the girl thought so though. Well, I'm about out of news so until I hear - good luck.
Love, Bob
P.S. I've also been playing chess lately. Don't like to brag, Elmer, but there's only one guy in the office that can beat me and that's only once in a while.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading