Friday, November 28, 2008

98 5/23/1947 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Route 3, Box 10, Shoreland Drive, Bellevue, Washington
Friday, May 23, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Mother:
You will get into Minneapolis tonight. It is a long trip for you and it is a shame we could not make plane reservations. I'm anxious to hear if they were able to wait until you arrived for the funeral. Coming back your trip will be broken up by stopping in Minneapolis and if you check right away no doubt you can get a sleeper on the fast train out of there on your return.
Hope the folks are all fine. They will miss Uncle Ben terribly but I'm so happy Aunt Roma has science as it will help her so much. I had a note from Mrs. Bartel[?]. She enclosed many thoughts and readings for me on grief. There is Isaiah 41:10 - Whenever we are tempted to grieve - for it is only a temptation to let mortal mind take our time and attention which we would otherwise put to constructive uses - Then someone wrote, "Know well thyself. Thy grief is no real thing. For man, like nature, is the work of Him who bade the stars together sing. Do not His sons triumphant shout for joy? And are thou not a son in his employ?"
Your letter mailed from Missoula came today. It was mailed last night. I will take care of the shirts and anything else Pop needs help with.
It is beautiful weather. Last night we went out fishing - it was loads of fun. Now the kids want to go again tonight. We are eating supper on our picnic table. It must be over 80ยบ today. This morning Cully had to go to Seattle on business so he came over after Jeanie and me and took us along - had lunch downtown and then got home about 1:30. I didn't get much of my cleaning done but we had fun anyway.
We will go to the cabin tomorrow noon. We still do not regret renting it. It will really be nice to spend weekends at the lake this summer.
Write when you can. I know you will be busy. Greet everyone for us. No doubt you will see Elizabeth this time. Tell her I will write to her soon. Did Uncle Frank get there? I hope so.
I'm enclosing the lecture.
Love, Gladys
I wrote to Helen Wednesday.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading