Wednesday, December 3, 2008

229 5/4/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Wednesday, May 04, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

[With Mother's Day card]
Dear Folks:
This is my last sheet of paper so I won't be able to write very much tonight. Elmer is working and I have both the kids in bed so should do a little ironing after I write to you. First I want to thank you for the three dollars you sent me for the telephone call. I didn't think to mention it in my other letter. You certainly shouldn't have paid for that call but thank you very, very much.
I have your Mother's day present all wrapped and ready to mail in the morning but I suppose it will be a day late. I don't know why I can't get things sent in plenty of time.
I picked Mrs. Ellsworth up today and we went for a ride and then stopped down at Lake Harriet and had an ice cream cone and then came back to my house and I made coffee and I took her home about four o'clock. She is very thin, weighs only 136 pounds and worries a good deal about her health. She menstruates now and her doctor said it was a certain vein there that was causing it and gave her some pills to take and as long as she takes the pills she is o.k. I told her she shouldn't worry about it. She plans to stay with Leila all the time now as she doesn't feel up to traveling around and besides the high altitude in Nebraska where Charity is doesn't agree with her and Charles told her her place was with him. I think she is making a very wrong choice because Leila doesn't want her and acts simply horrid to her and treats her just terrible while Charity really wants her. Charity and Edward are going up to Northern Minnesota the first of June for a month and want to stop by for Mrs. E. and take her with them and then back to Nebraska with them but she isn't planning on going with them, not even up to the lake.
I had Mamie Praull and the bunch over last Friday night. Mr. Praull is very, very sick and half out of his mind and in General Hospital but the doctor said he might linger on as long as a year. They sure are having a lot of trouble in the family. I can't get over Hazel. Hope she is responding to the shock treatments.
The temperature went up to 94 degrees yesterday. It was hot again today but stayed under 90, I think. I like it though after the long winter. We are trying to get grass growing this year so I have lots to do with keeping it watered and raked and everything and tomorrow I hope to plant some flower seeds.
I bet you Folks are busy at the store now if your weather is like ours.
I talked to Jan Martin today. She said the boy's father doesn't work half the time and his mother sent the checks to the boys out of her money. She had just gotten a letter from him saying he was going to Colorado or someplace for the summer but his mother would keep on sending the checks. He said he might look for a job there. Jan said he is very, oh I forgot the word, but anyway he works until he gets tired of it and then quits and lets his mother support him so I suppose Jan had a very good reason for leaving him.
Well Folks, I want to get at my ironing. I don't have much but have a few pieces sprinkled and in this hot weather I don't dare leave them until morning as they have been sprinkled for two days now.
Have a Happy Mother's Day, Mother and I'll be thinking about you. Hope you are fine Pop, and I'll write more soon.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading