Wednesday, November 26, 2008

48 10/26/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Thursday, October 26, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Elmer is bowling tonight as Kellex has a team and Mary has been in bed since six and Jimmie before seven. He didn't have a nap today so was so tired tonight he couldn't eat or do anything but cry. A few minutes ago he woke up and asked for a glass of milk so I brought it to him and he drank it down in almost one swallow like big Jim used to do. When he finished it he lay down and went back to sleep. You know after I mailed Jim's Christmas presents I had a letter from him with a new APO address. I hope that won't delay his presents. Did you get him a cigarette lighter? Marvin Schweigle certainly must have had some horrible experiences. Are those K rations in the form of a pill. I started to read an article about them in the Colliers tonight but then decided to write to you instead. I had a letter from Florence Carlson today and she said she hoped we could get to Minneapolis at Christmas time because they could have a big surprise for us and a nice one. I can't imagine what it could be unless Bob could be coming home. That really would be nice and he certainly deserves a furlough as he has practically been up to the front ever since the war started. Florence said their new house is wonderful but they probably won't get in it for a couple of months yet. She said her husband is crazy about their little girl but has no use for her anymore at all. Poor Florence certainly has had an unhappy life even if she does bring most of it on herself I feel sorry for her.
Did you hear Dewey the other night when he spoke from Minneapolis? We thought it was a wonderful speech and I certainly hope he wins. Elmer has wavered from Roosevelt to Dewey but now he says he thinks Dewey would get his vote if he could vote. I wish we could vote but we have no established home.
Did I tell you I am having a masquerade Halloween party Saturday night. Tonight Elmer brought home a note Olney Dean had given him from Esther to give to me. She said she was bringing two pumpkin pies to my party to help me out on the refreshments. I think that is swell. Then I thought I would have a hot dish of spaghetti and meatballs and coffee.
Today I had a big scare. When Mary is in the buggy I put a pillow in it and put her down on her stomach and she can look all around. Her legs aren't on the pillow so she is slanting if you can figure out what I mean. She was in the kitchen looking out the back door and I was picking up in the living room. I heard this queer funny little sound so ran to look at Mary and she had pushed herself up forward and caught her neck on the end of the buggy and was choking. As soon as I picked her up though she caught her breath. If that hadn't of happened she would have pushed herself out of the buggy and gone down on her head. She is so big and cute and looks darling in the dress Stella sent her. That little white sweater you sent is darling too.
I had a card from Glad today saying she was back in Chicago. She said she was glad to be back home again. I'm so glad the vases weren't broken Mom. Do you have them up yet? I don't have mine up because I haven't a hook yet to hang them on. It would have to be a hook that stuck out a ways from the wall wouldn't it?
Pop it sounds like you had a swell birthday dinner over at Stella's. Don't worry about the gas stamps. We very seldom go anyplace outside of Oak Ridge so don't need much gas so haven't needed our full allotment. Mom you said not to cut ourselves short to give to you. If I ever had anything to give you that would cut me short it would be a privilege. I'm glad the new Mrs. Smith is nice. It really is nice she is a Scientist isn't it. I hope you got up to the hills Sunday. After Elmer saw the mountains up at Gatlinburg he said he knew he would like Washington.
I know Mrs. Gillard really loves the chair set and that was a lovely thing for you to do for her. Every time she used to come up to the apartment she would just stand and look at my set and say she wished she had one just like it. Did I tell you that some couple is still there but they both work so Mrs. Gillard said she hardly ever sees them.
How did Stella's party turn out? Stella is like you. When you entertain you go all out to have lots to eat and make things nice. I guess I haven't entertained enough because I am more skimpy. It's not that I'm stingy, I just don't know any better.
My nice nurse woman quit just as she was getting started as she took a regular job out at the plant. She said she wasn't fitted for any regular job but help is needed so badly I guess jobs can be found here for anybody. So I didn't get to go to Knoxville but Elmer and I are going Monday night right after work as the stores are opened until nine. We will probably take Jimmie but will get Nell, Mrs. Grubb's daughter, to stay with Mary.
Well folks I guess I will stop now and look at a magazine. I mailed a letter to Jim today. More later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading