Wednesday, November 26, 2008

57 4/19/1945 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Thursday, April 19, 1945
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Mother's letter came yesterday and Helen's the day before with Jim's letter enclosed. I will return it with this - also a couple sugar stamps. Holler whenever you need any of those things. The gas coupons have a different letter or number on but if you can cash them in we could even send you one or two of those once in a while. Let me know.
Evelyn and I took our kids to the Circus yesterday. It lasted from 2:30 to 5:30 which was too long and tiresome. Didn't get home until 6:30 and here was Virg. It meant a rush to get supper. All we had was bacon, eggs and toast and coffee because we wanted to hurry. We called the Murphys, Sparrers, Dunnes and Humberstones and they all came over for the evening. It sure was a last minute party but it was fun. Served a midnight lunch so I washed dishes until noon today. I'm really tired. As soon as the girl gets here from school I am going to the beauty shop - then home in time to wash my face and go out for dinner. There will be 11 of us. Mush March and others that want to see Virg. Tomorrow night is my club and Virg will leave Saturday. I'm sure we will spend a nice quiet weekend getting caught up on lost sleep.
Thanks for the map showing where Jim is. Sorry to hear about Fanchon. No doubt that has been her trouble for a long time. Jim sure is a busy boy - just like he always was. I'm glad though because it helps mark the time for him.
Yes, we were all glad to be rid of Thompson. We expect Johnny Gattselig to take his place. he should work out very well.
Bob Carse - the hockey player who was taken prisoner by the Germans has been freed and is in a hospital in England suffering from malnutrition and dysentery. His family is happy though and can hardly wait until he comes home. They have two girls. Hope Buddy S. isn't badly injured.
I can't remember when Jeannie wet her pants. She hasn't had a diaper on for months and months.
Our two friends at the Guyon have left town so I guess it was getting too hot for them.
Ralph likes Panama very much. Sent Jeannie a cute doll from there and has another on the way for Ruthie.
I'll try to get crochet thread for you and mail it with the pictures.
Ma Jones is still in California but have not heard how she is.
The Barn Dance was cancelled on account of Roosevelt so we are going the 28th instead. I will have the 6 of us here for dinner first. Maybe you can listen in then.
Must close but will write again soon.
Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading