Wednesday, November 26, 2008

46 10/17/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Tuesday, October 17, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Today is your birthday, Pop, and I have thought about you a lot. I think about you folks so much but still don't get as many letters written as I would like. I don't think I'll ever get caught up on all the other letters I owe.
I had a nice letter from you yesterday. I see you worry about not getting as many letters written to me as you would like too. The days do go so fast. I have meant to tell you that I am going to send you the postage on that last box you sent. I am going to the bank and shopping Thursday. I have a new nursemaid. Her name is Mrs. Grubb and she lives on Robertsville Rd. only about half a mile from our place. She said she is so lonesome that she decided to go out and care for children.
She has seven of her own but they are all grown so she just has two with her here and they are in school during the day. Mrs. Grubb doesn't go out nights but she has a 16 year old daughter named Nell who does. We had Nell over last Saturday night while we went up to Deans to play cards. She is the nicest little girl and looks so dependable. I made a standing date with her mother for every Thursday morning so I can go shopping.
Sunday we went up to Gatlinburg with the Hartmans. We left about 10:30 in the morning and brought our lunch and had a very nice day and got home about seven. The mountains were nice but nothing compared to Washington. However, the coloring was beautiful with all the leaves turning. The Browns were up there with another couple. I have seen Jeanne Hartman so much that I just hope she won't come around for awhile as I have gotten so I can hardly stand her.
I remember Margaret Swift and it shocked me too to hear about her. What will happen to her children now? She must have been very unhappy. Didn't her mother kill herself too or did she just die?
That article you sent me written by Pegler was undoubtedly about Oak Ridge. There sure are a lot of unfair things going on.
I know Bob Jenson was glad to have a baby boy. I hope his wife will be going down to live with him. Mom I'm still going to try to get you some Spanish moss.
Mary is beginning to sit up pretty good by herself now. When I take her in the car she wants to sit beside me instead of lie down on the seat. I want to get her a car seat soon. I don't care which robe you send me Mom. It doesn't make a bit of difference. I think I'll keep mine just to show people too.
Did Giles Smith get back in time for the party - will he bring his new wife back to the same house to live. Elmer would love the Reader's Digest for Christmas. I can't think of anything nicer. Did I send Pop a subscription to the Post last year. Anyway I'm going to this year.
The day I had Jeanne's children I just sent Jimmie and Marcia over to the party. Now that I have a nursemaid I'm not going to take care of anyone's children anymore unless it's a real emergency.
The same tenants are still in Gillard's garage apartment but they both work. I suppose they aren't too anxious to move since they had to give up their refrigerator to old Gillard.
Elmer had to work last night until nine but that was the first time in quite awhile. This job may be all finished around June. I hate to think of giving up my house. I guess I'll go to bed now and get a good night's sleep for a change. I usually stay up until about midnight every night.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading