Thursday, December 4, 2008

688 5/17/1951 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Thursday, May 17, 1951
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I’m up here with Davy so thought I would write a few lines to you. Elmer’s sister Florence sat with Davy this morning until I got here which was about one. Stella and I have sat here all night the last two nights. Last night there was a shift of dumb nurses on and Stella and I were glad we were here but ordinarily the nurses take good care of him and are in and out all the time so I don’t really think he needs a special nurse. Davy is more or less in a coma and lies so still but he drinks a little milk from the bottle at feeding times. He is getting awfully thin. We are knowing the truth for him constantly and I keep knowing he lives in mind and not in body.
Mother, I don’t think there is any use in coming right now. You are busy at the store and I know you would come and you know I would love to have you but Stella is good company and good moral support and we are both learning a lot in Science. As for the kids going back with Stella, I can’t even think that far ahead.
I called Stella a few minutes ago. She had talked to you. Thanks for sending Grace the 25 dollars. Please keep track of what you are spending, including your telephone bills.
Helen
Friday morning
Davy passed at 3:30 A.M. Elmer was with him and held his hand. He came back for me and we went down to the hospital. Davy already was tightening up and didn’t look like my little baby. He would have been 7 months tomorrow. We’re not having a funeral. Cremation. More later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading