Saturday, October 25, 2008

312 2/19/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Friday, February 19, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
We had a nice letter from you yesterday.
I can’t imagine you with more snow. You are having as much of a winter as we are.
Yesterday it was 45° above. Really, it seemed like spring. The streets were terribly wet and the snow is going fast.
Last night we had creamed salmon on toast, peas, milk and cake for dessert.
I don’t feel so peppy today so I think I’ll just fix some soup or something simple. Tomorrow is only ½ day and then we don’t go back to work until next Tuesday. We get all day off for Washington’s Birthday. Helen will probably have to work though.
You and Mrs. Swain certainly do have a lot of fun, mother. It is nice she is interested in Science too. I guess when we lived there before she didn’t think so much of it did she?
I certainly do enjoy hiking to and from work. It isn’t a bit far and takes only 20 minutes. Helen walked home yesterday because it was so nice out and she was through work early. She will probably walk more when spring is really here. It is good for her too. She is inside all day long and then the apartment is so stuffy and warm all the time too that a little fresh air is what we can both use.
How long will the kids be able to ski? I suppose the snow lasts a long time in the hills.
Cully plays tonight here in Minneapolis but I am not going. I will stay home, do some darning and mending and get to bed early. We will probably listen to the game over the radio.
Helen has a prospective buyer for the piano. I hope it goes through. If so we will bank the money.
I stopped at the Hostess Bakery on 3rd and Grant the other night with a girl from the office. They sell all their day-old stuff for almost nothing. Bought a dozen of the nicest cupcakes for 10¢. They have stayed just swell too. I also bought a loaf of cracked wheat bread for 5¢. I am going to stop in often.
Have to stop again and help Miss Peterson so will say goodbye for today.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading