Wednesday, December 3, 2008

212 9/22/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, September 22, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Elmer had to go to Montevideo, Minnesota this morning and won't be back until about midnight tonight. He took the train so I'll wait up for him in case he misses the bus out here or something. I can go down and pick him up. Tonight the Cubs had their pack meeting at the grade school so I had to go as the groups get extra points for all the parents who attend. Mary went too but thank goodness it only lasted an hour. They just have the pack meetings once a month but each individual group meets every week only the parents don't have to go to the weekly meetings. I saw Cully's sister and her husband but didn't get to talk to them.
Frances Woodfill called me yesterday and said she was having the club at her house Monday night and asked me to come so I said I would as long as she was having it but I haven't attended any of those meetings for ages and kind of hate to start it again. Then tonight Hazel called me. She was over at Frances's house and they wanted me to come over and see Hazel but I couldn't on account of having to go to this Cub meeting. Hazel went on to say she thought they would be leaving Monday morning but she would like to stay over another day so she could see me Monday night at my shower. Then I heard Frances holler at her so evidently they are having a shower for me. I wish they weren't although I donated to three showers for the different girls in the club but since I haven't gone for so long it will look now like I'm just going because I expect them to give me something.
Frank is due back Monday night. Frances said you folks took him up to the mountains. I hope the day was nice.
Yesterday I had a dentist appointment at one o'clock and when I got there Vernie was just leaving for lunch. He had gotten all bawled up on his appointments so I told him to go on and I would make it another time as I really was glad to get out of it anyway. Since I had gotten cleaned up I didn't want to come back to the house so I called Selma and she was making donuts and told me to come out and have donuts and coffee so I did. I enjoyed getting out because I have been doing nothing but stay home. I don't know what's the matter with me but all I feel like doing is sleeping and I do what work I have to around the house and then sleep the rest of the time until the kids come from school. Some days I sleep almost all day long and still if I don't sleep a lot I'm so tired at night I can hardly move. I really have gone into just a terrible shell and don't call anyone and half the time I don't even answer my telephone when it rings. That's why I haven't called Mrs. Ellsworth because I'll want to invite her over when I do and I don't have the pep to clean my house most of the time. I think I'll have to make myself be more active and maybe I'll get over feeling like this.
Mrs. Dahlstrom and Ralph came over the other night and I was glad to hear about everyone. I wouldn't tell Gladys but I just have to stick up for her every time I talk to Mrs. Dahlstrom because they all criticize Glad for working and leaving her kids. Every time Mrs. Dahlstrom says something about it, which is all the time, I tell her it is Cully who depends upon her so much and keeps calling her to come down to the office and can't get along without her working with him. I did tell Gladys how Mrs. Dahlstrom called me to ask me what all Gladys sent me in the box she sent back with Ralph. I sat there and named off all the baby things she had sent and when I finished Mrs. Dahlstrom told me to be sure and wash them out before using them because she noticed they were pretty stiff, probably from being dried in the basement. Elmer sure got a kick out of that. Speaking of Elmer I told him how I had written to you that I beat him in cribbage all the time so her wants me to be sure and tell you how things stand now. He started winning and is sixteen games ahead of me and I just can't win any more so I've quit playing the game. Now we have started playing pinochle. That is fun too, I think, and so far we are about even in that.
We have our heat turned on now and a lot of days it feels like winter is just around the corner and nobody is ready for it yet because we really had no summer at all and it seems like we have hardly gotten over last winter yet.
Muriel Corl has the bandages off from her eyes now but can't see a thing out of the injured eye, and it has been uncovered for two weeks now. She is just terribly worried about it but the doctor told her it may take months but he expects her to regain her sight in that eye.
Elmer said that wasn't odd that they didn't list the Christian Science services in with the Protestants. You know I told you about the church classes they were going to have at school. He said it meant all the other churches would be in one group, and the C.S. in one group and the Catholics in another group so I guess I just took it the wrong way.
Well Folks I guess I had better stop for now but I hope you are all fine and not working too awfully hard. Wish I could give you some of the sleep I get.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading