Sunday, November 9, 2008

495 5/31/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Monday, May 31, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I had a nice letter from you today and thanks for enclosing those letters from Jim’s school. I’ll send them back because they are nice to have. I had a letter from Jim today and he still seems to like it there. I just wrote a letter to Sarah. I guess I told you that she just hates it there but of course they are still living at the hotel and that is awfully hard to do with a child. They are in Rawlins, Wyoming.
I sure hope Elmer gets an answer from the White River Lumber Co. He wrote to them last night and I sent the letter to Glad. They can read it and do what they feel best about it. If Elmer stays with this company we probably will go to Tennessee and that will be a long time there so I don’t really want to go. He mentioned to someone out at work he might quit and go out to Washington and this fellow said he thought he should stay with Kellogg because it is a good company to work for and it is a good idea to keep with one company so you can build yourself up and that is true but if he gets a good offer at all from out there he is going to take it.
I paid the rent today for another month and we really think we will be here that much longer but can’t tell for sure. Sunday we took a ride out to the plant and it is really huge and Elmer showed me all the building they had started on that is all discontinued now. It seems a shame to spend months working on something and then not finish it.
I got the box mailed to Stella today with the dress and pair of shoes in it. I hope someone can wear the shoes but they were too tight for me. Did you get your new glasses, Mom. I never did tell you that I got some glasses several months ago. That was when I was nursing Jimmie and my eyes felt so tired all the time so I had my eyes tested and he said there was a slight strain on them and I should have glasses for reading or sewing and things like that and I wore them for awhile but never do anymore so it was kind of a waste of money.
Annie was here today so I didn’t do a darn thing. Jimmie and I went downtown this morning and I let him walk but instead of walking along with me he stops at every store and goes every way but the right way.
I just mailed a letter to you this morning and since nothing at all has happened since then I guess I better stop for this time but I wanted to get a note written anyway. A new magazine came today so I guess I’ll try and get it away from Elmer so I can read it. I sure hope we will be getting out there but it seems too good to be true.
Goodnight for now Folks.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading