Thursday, November 27, 2008

73 6/15/1946 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 281, Sparta Pike, Lebanon, Tennessee
Saturday, June 15, 1946
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just finished reading the lesson so will try to get a letter written to you before Jimmie and Mary wake up. Jimmie started getting sick yesterday afternoon. He makes a wonderful Christian Scientist. He went in on his bed and was saying, "God is love," and telling error to go away. He felt better in a little while and played all evening but seemed to have a fever all night. I hope he will be fine this morning.
I had some excitement yesterday morning when I was downtown. Mary ran away and I was worried about her being in the street someplace and couldn't find her at all. Our business section is a circle and the traffic is heavy. I went and got the police and they found her. She was with three men and having the time of her life and they were just going to bring her to the police station.
I didn't get your letter finished yesterday so will now. This is Father's Day and I hope you had a happy one, Pop. We haven't been doing a thing today. Elmer has been trying to study as his engineer's exam comes up July 9 in Knoxville where the University of Tennessee is. It will take two days. At first I wanted him to drive so we could all go but now I don't know as it is awfully hot and there wouldn't be anything much to do there. No one we know in Oak Ridge is there any more, otherwise It would be fun to go there.
Glad and Cully's place certainly sounds wonderful. What did they do about a refrigerator and stove and did they have to buy all new furniture.
Your store certainly seems to be doing fine. That fifteen minutes difference in the morning will help a lot. Do you do much business on Sundays.
We are taking Mary and Jimmie to the circus in Nashville one night this week. Jimmie is feeling fine now.
The highway we are on is going to he widened. Luckily our house is set back far from the road because they are coming up to the middle of the yard as it is.
How is Harold doing in his business?
We went out to Cedar Forest late this afternoon for a picnic supper and Mary and Jimmie had fun. There is a nice playground there.
I wish my ham would come so I could send it to you.
Mr. Rawlins (the people across the street) came over this morning but Elmer was studying and just had his shorts on so I didn't invite him in. We are curious to know what he wanted because he said he wanted to talk to Elmer and wanted me present. He said he would come back later but we went on the picnic so didn't see him. I haven't been having a thing to do with them so can't imagine why he wanted to see us.
What is Glad's address? Does Cully know what he is going to do yet?
Well folks I had better stop for now. I have a baby present to wrap for Dorothy Geisenkatter and should write her a few lines.
More later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading