Wednesday, December 3, 2008

248 3/3/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, March 03, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I just put some coffee on so while I'm waiting for that to perk I will start a letter to you. Your long letter came day before yesterday. I surely am anxious to see all of you and have you see my house. No, having carpeting won't make me hate to sell the house, it will just make the house easier to sell if it should ever come to that. I was sure Viola misunderstood Gladys when she thought they were coming here. Viola is coming over next Wednesday for lunch and bridge so I will put her straight. I have had a very busy week this week but I still got my ironing done which is good for me. Monday I was invited over to Clara Jensen's for lunch. Wednesday I went to a bridge luncheon. Thursday I took ten neighborhood kids to the circus and today Mary had some little girls in for lunch and they played with dolls afterwards. Tuesday night the temperature went down to 12 below. It was so cold and windy out but it started to warm up today. At ten o'clock this morning the car wouldn't start as it was still below zero. I was so mad at it because I had so many things to do. Anyway, I came in and pinned my hair up and went back out at eleven and it started then as it had warmed up just enough.
Viola has been wanting me to meet her downtown for quite some time for lunch but I really dislike going downtown unless I really have something to go for so I invited her over here next Wednesday for lunch instead and told her I would get up a couple tables of bridge. Then I came in the kitchen to mark it down on the calendar and saw that I was having my bridge club that night. I decided to go through with both parties. Johnny Hinch and Dorothy Habeta belong to the bridge club but I invited them to the afternoon bridge too and they will stay straight through and have supper with us because their husbands are out of town and they have no children. It will be a busy day but fun, I think. Now that I have the carpeting I can clean the day before and get everything ready before hand.
This notice about a Mrs. Thurston passing on - is she the friend of ours or not, do you think.
It must be wonderful to be having spring weather. The snow is really piled high here and ice is all over.
The hours you folks keep would ruin me. I don't see how you get through the next day. It's so late before you can get started, though, that you either have to go then or give up everything.
Well I had a cup of coffee and had better start supper now as it is five o'clock.
Frances Woodfill had a baby girl last week. That's what she hoped for.
Love, Helen
Ruth's letter just came. She asked if I would need your folding bed but I won't as I have plenty of sleeping space. Can hardly wait until you get here. I'm going to spend the next six weeks painting and fixing.
Too bad Harold acts so. He must have been in a bad mood that night. I sure hope Stella comes but if she does will he ever let her forget it.
I'm going to see Frances Woodfill this afternoon. When she came home from the hospital her three boys were sick with measles and flu. Bertil also is in bed with the flu and Frances isn't feeling good so I'm going over and get her laundry and bring it home and wash and hang it here and then Monday I will take it back and Gerry Woodfill will iron it. Frances didn't want me to do it but I insisted.
Must stop for now but will write more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading