Thursday, December 4, 2008

679 4/5/1951 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Thursday, April 05, 1951
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
The day has come that I’ve waited six months for and that is that I’m sitting out on our front stoop with a sweater on. Davy is sitting here with me in his Teeter-Babe. The temperature must be up to 40 and it’s melting but the bare ground does show in patches. Still lots of snow however.
Your nice long letter came this afternoon. That will be fine if Stella can get some wear out of the black dress. I hope Jeanne and Gail are feeling fine now. Jim and Mary and Elmer had mumps a couple of years ago but it didn’t make them very sick if I remember right.
This morning I took Davy up to the grocery store.
Friday Night
Dear Folks, My letter didn’t get so far yesterday afternoon as the woman across the street came over with her little girl and then Elmer came home early as he had been out to Hopkins looking at some job he is working on. Anyway, the bombshell has kind of hit us again and I’m back to a practitioner again. I hate to even say this in writing but I do believe Davy is yellower than ever, at least he isn’t at all any whiter. Elmer said last night that we had to come to some decision and wanted to know how much more time I wanted. He is plenty worried and I can’t blame him. Anyway last night I told him I had to think about it and I didn’t want to talk about it right then. Today I went over to see Mrs. Scott, my neighbor who lives on the other side of Nellie, and she is a very good Scientist and has been for many years. I told her about everything and told her how I felt about Mrs. Reed. I’m nervous when I talk to Mrs. Reed and I don’t feel at ease and I was always so glad when we hung up, although I know she is awfully nice and really worked hard for Davy. I just hated to think of calling her up again and talking to her every morning. Mrs. Scott said the first thing I had to do was get another practitioner. She knows lots of them and she said there are different types who will suit different people better so she gave me the name of one who she feels is right for me. I came home and called her and I have an appointment with her for tomorrow afternoon at two o’clock. I am going to bring Davy with me. It just has to be worked out this time. Today I read almost all day long, and it says you have to get rid of your fear before the healing can be completed and I can’t get rid of my fear and worry. Elmer especially is feeling hurried about this because we can’t forget what that doctor said would happen if the condition wasn’t corrected. As far as Davy is concerned he feels just wonderful and now he tries hard to crawl when he is put down on the floor. He is so happy and cute that it seems impossible that there can be anything wrong. I was going to call you up today but then remembered you had probably left for Canada. I hope you did get to go on the trip. I will want to hear all about it.
It is raining out tonight so should wash most of the snow away. All the yards look just terrible after being covered up for so long and there is so much trash lying around all over that dogs had dragged around the last minute and then it got covered up with snow.
I have spoiled Davy pretty much so that he isn’t too anxious to go to bed at night without a lot of fuss so tonight I realized that I have been treating him like a sick child and I shouldn’t do that so I got him ready for bed and put him in his crib and gave him a couple of pats and walked out. He cried for about two minutes and then was sound asleep and I’ve had a much longer evening to myself. Christian Science is a strange thing. You have to know exactly how to apply it before you can heal. You can think you are doing everything but be on the wrong track so then your work doesn’t do any good. I guess it all adds up to the fact that you first have to banish all doubt and fear. If you could do that then the healing would be instantaneous.
Well enough for now folks. I’ll let you know about this new practitioner. Her name is Mrs. Agnes Bruff. She lives in a hotel down around 10th and something. I have to look up the address. She has a nice voice over the telephone. Mrs. Scott said she is the type I can lean on and she won’t make me feel like I have to do half of it, although of course I will, but at least I can feel like she will get Davy over this. I hope you are all fine and I’ll write more soon.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading