Saturday, November 29, 2008

119 8/14/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Thursday, August 14, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I have been awful about writing lately but it has been terribly hot for the last several days so I haven't done a thing. The temperature was a hundred and over every day but today it is just like fall and really nice out. Last night was the shower for Dolores. It was in a Polish hall in northeast Minneapolis. They expected about a hundred and sixty people but only about fifty came. Probably most of the people had been in the hall before and knew how hot it would be. It was really just suffocating up there, although it was cool outside. Dolores got a lot of nice presents and over 60 dollars in money. They served a wonderful lunch too. Selma and Eden went with me. Elmer had to go to St. Cloud today and drove our car so I think I will take the street car out to Selma's after while. I don't have much to do today as I got my washing and ironing done in a hurry this week. The house is at a standstill right now as we are waiting for plasterers and plumbers. I think they are expected to come soon.
School will be starting in less than three weeks and it doesn't seem possible. Jimmy will start at Calhoun which is only four blocks from here. Mary wants to go too.
Yesterday I got a permanent for only five dollars and it turned out just swell. It sure seems nice to have curly hair again.
Elmer's mother had a cash register bank that she kept in the dining room. She had about ten dollars in it. One day last week she went to put some more money in it and it was gone and we haven't found it. We are sure some of the neighborhood kids who have been in the house have taken it but none of them will admit it. We saw one boy open the buffet drawer on day where she keeps her purse so are pretty sure he is the one who took the bank. That upset Mrs. Carlson pretty badly but she seems to be feeling pretty good today. She went to the shower last night too and she loves getting out and having someone to talk to so I think that did her more good than anything. Last night Bob came over so he ran up to my room to talk to me, that was while we were getting ready for the shower. His mother started crying because he was talking to me. Then Florence came and she came right up to my room and Mrs. Carlson went through everything again. Then when Nellie came and ran up to my room that was too much so Grandma was pretty raving and we didn't know how she would behave at the party but she was very good. Bob had to tell her not to say anything about the Catholics and that hurt her feelings and didn't help matters, but she doesn't think the Catholics are even Americans and she says awful things about them so Bob was pretty worried.
Remember that Les Hoye I used to go with. We were out with Eden and Wally the other night and saw him. He looks the same as ever and has a good job at Honeywell. It still seems funny to run into people I used to know. It seems like where ever we go we see at least one person we know.
Warnie Martin is looking for a house to buy but it is just as hard to buy one as it is to rent one. They have to get out of their apartment by September 1st and if they don't have another place by then his wife will go back to California and stay until Warnie finds something. Elmer went with Warnie the other day to look at a house. It was for sale for thirteen thousand and Elmer said it was awfully small and needed a lot of repair work done.
Dolores isn't working any more so they will probably have to move in here if we ever get out. She has a married sister who has two children who are living with her folks so there is no room for them there. Dolores might get along here pretty good as long as there were no children, as they upset Mrs. Carlson a lot. She wants to play with them all the time when they are playing in the house and she fights with them just like another child.
No, Eden never did pay for her picnic lunch, nor ever mentioned it. Remember Mary King in Lebanon. I had a letter from her yesterday and she said our old mud road there is a nice wide pavement now. She said Mrs. Jackson is still around and goes out with all the married men along there.
Here is a picture of Bob and his best man. I think Bob looks so nice. I'll send you a picture of Dolores when I get one.
Mrs. Carlson is going over to St. Paul this morning to see her mother so it will be nice having her gone all day. I hope you are all fine and I will write more soon.
With Love, Helen
Friday
I'm down at Loring Park now. It is nice here and the kids are feeding the ducks. The bricklayers are coming Monday.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading