Saturday, November 1, 2008

411 12/19/1941 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Friday, December 19, 1941
Helen Carlson
605 Nichols, Waycross, Georgia

My dear Helen,
Jimmie just came a few minutes ago. Kissed us, threw down the suitcase, took the car keys and was on his way up to High School. Butch was with him. He said when he comes back home he would visit with us. Said, Gee I am glad to be home, and away he went.
He and Butch got a ride home with Stan Johansson. There were 6 passengers. Stan is not going back so Jimmie may have to return by train. Anyway, I do not want him to hitchhike. Dick Ingles came this morning by train and brought two pieces of baggage of Jim’s. He checked it through.
Your letter mailed Tuesday came today. Also a letter from Gladys. Both of you girls stated you were sending Xmas packages. We are happy to say ours are on the way. Another year we will have to have our understanding earlier.
Last night we listened to Henry Aldrich. Anyway, we though it was real good.
I still haven’t my watch. When I went in to see about it soon after the 1st, I told him what you had said about your watch. He thanked me and said he was glad it was alright. I’ll probably get mine by next spring.
I am just re-reading one of your Chicago letters. That was funny how out of ten of you girls, five were pregnant. At least you had company.
In your last letter written on the train you told of the young 15 year-old boy being taken to prison. I have watched the papers to see if there was any account of it. I wonder how or what he did. It really was too bad.
I think Elmer was very fair when he paid those girls at Moniac. It most have looked like a lot of money to those girls.
I am glad Ruthie has the stroller in Chicago. Gladys told me she would take it, then I began to wonder if they had. Gladys said in her letter that Ruthie talks a lot. If anyone asks her how she is she says, I fine.
You certainly have the ministers and church people call on you wherever you go. This last one was fair when he agreed not to try to make Baptists out of you. There may be a C.S. Society there, but no church is listed in the Journal.
Has Elmer found enough men to help him? I do wish he could get something out here. Don’t give up. Something better will come in time. Now that we are at war they may discontinue that work. Anyone with Elmer’s education and ability will surely be needed somewhere.
I know Papa will like the Post for his Christmas gift. This week he bought ours, for Johnny at the store told him about a good story that was in it. I’ll let you know if they send us a notice. If not, and the paper has not started coming by Christmas, I’ll tell Papa what his gift is.
I do not think you are getting big any too fast. Gladys was a May baby and at Christmas time that year I had to make a dress because I could not get into anything I had. Stella was larger too when Eden was here.
I’ll not try to answer your letter that came today. It is 11:30. Jimmie has not come and Papa has gone to bed.
The mill has been working only one day a week, but with this job of guarding, Harold has been doing real well. More later,
Love to you both, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading