Saturday, October 25, 2008

296 1/4/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Monday, January 04, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

from Helen
Dear Folks,
We're out of paper again so I'll have to use this. Saturday I stopped in the drug store next to work and who should be working there but Stella's old friend Harry Jacobson. He is working on some sales job and one of his places is Seattle. He is just home for Christmas vacation. He will be in Seattle again in the summer so of course I gave him your address and he is going to look you up.
At noon today it was 38 above and it's 8:15 at night now and it has dropped to 10 below. Some difference. I probably won't be going out any more this winter because when it gets so cold Elmer doesn't work so he doesn't have any money. Yesterday we went to the show and saw, "My Man Godfrey" then went back to his place to eat. I was over there for New Year's dinner too.
Saturday night we were all over to Warnie's house for the evening. Did you folks have a nice New Year's day? I hope so.
A new catalog is coming out so we will be working late hours again. I don't mind it, though, if I get enough sleep. Helen Gebhardt quit her job at Sears. She just hated it.
From Gladys
1/5/37
Dear Folks:
I notice Helen didn't get this finished but I'll send it anyway. We can't take any more chances on your not hearing from us. I didn't tell you that I went to the hockey game New Year's night. Minneapolis played St. Paul again and lost 2-1. Cully and I went over to his house after the game and his mother fixed a nice lunch. I didn't see him Sunday or go to the game Sunday night because Addie and I were over to Mable and Charlie's. We had a lot of fun and a grand dinner.
Last night we both stayed home. I ironed a little and was in bed by 9 o'clock. Tonight St. Paul plays St. Louis. It is supposed to be a real good game so I guess I will go. I really enjoy the games a lot.
The temperature was officially 15 below this morning but most everyone's thermometer said 20. It is cold at any rate. We have been pretty lucky to have it as warm as it has been, though.
Agnes's bus from Little Falls was due here Saturday at 1:55 and her Rochester bus was to leave at 4. I went down to see her as she'd have a wait of 2 hours but the Little Falls bus came in about 2 minutes after 4. All I said was hello because she had to take a cab to chase the Rochester bus. She missed it by 1 minute.
I had a nice letter from Verna. She sounds very happy. We had cards from all the relatives except Uncle Ben. I didn't send them one either because I don't know their address. Are they all living in Columbus now?
Must stop again.
Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading