Thursday, November 6, 2008

462 2/22/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Monday, February 22, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Well I guess Gladys is in Minneapolis by now. I know she is anxious to get out there and I think it is swell that she can have her babies in Washington. Sunday afternoon we drove over to the railroad station and just sat in the car and watched a train come in and I wanted to get on it so bad and leave for Washington. Jimmie’s eyes got so big when he saw the train and he enjoyed watching it too. He has another cold and he just got over one a few days ago. I think I’ll stop letting all the kids come up on the porch and play with him because it seems one of them always has a cold. He has so much fun when they play with him I hate to tell them to go but I don’t like them around all the time either.
We’re still having trouble with Mrs. Walter, that is, the superintendent of the company is. She wrote him a really mean letter yesterday and he was so mad he called her up today and told her to stop bothering them out there and told her plenty of other things too. I was glad he really found out for himself what she is like instead of it being just hearsay because since Lee Trahan was transferred to Canada he has been opening all his own mail and since she is still writing letters about us, it’s nice that he knows what she is like. When he gets letters from her about Elmer he just brings them over to Elmer and tells him there is something more for him to tear up.
How are you going to manage with the new rationing on canned foods. I think we will get along o.k. but I did like tuna fish and I know you did too and I liked salami and peas and tomato juice. I think we’ll have to save our points for Jimmie though because he eats more cans of food than his book will allow him. He eats three cans a day. Sometimes he doesn’t finish all the can and I will save it for the next day but he eats more than the 48 cans a month allowed him. His shoes too will be a problem because he wears them out so fast. He grows out of them instead. I certainly don’t mind giving up anything though as long as it will help us to win this war.
I heard a funny thing yesterday. Elmer said the people here wear black on Lincoln’s birthday so today I asked Mrs. Allen who used to be my neighbor in the garage apartment if that were true and she laughed and said that a lot of them did. Then I heard that there was a very poor man who lived around here but he was a distant relative of the man who shot Lincoln and when it got around he was given one of the best jobs in the state with a huge salary. The people sure are funny here to remember things like the civil war.
For several days Jimmie has had a funny little rash on his face. It’s kind of under the skin but there is one real noticeable patch on one cheek. Have you any idea what it could be. Could it be from teeth. Sarah noticed it the other day but I said his face was just chapped but it isn’t that and I can’t figure out what it could be.
Well Folks, Elmer is already in bed so I guess I will follow him. I didn’t get any mail today because it was Washington’s Birthday so I hope I’ll hear from you tomorrow. I just had a letter though so maybe I won’t. I’ll write more later folks.
With Love, Helen
Mom – nice letter just came from you.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading