Tuesday, November 4, 2008

714 2/27/1942 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts
Friday, February 27, 1942
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Plum Island
Dear Folks,
I think this red ribbon will show up better so will use it. I had another nice letter from you today and also one from Dorothy Dew and she said they were all fine.
Tonight we went over to Ducrets and I brought back their Sears Roebuck catalogue and am going to order some things for the baby from it. Doris Ducret said the baby will use about thirty diapers a day and night so I am trying to figure out how I will ever have time to wash out that many diapers every day in a dish pan and having to heat all my water on the stove. I am going to try and find a girl to come and stay and help. After school gets out it will probably be easy to get someone to come out here but I want to get someone right at first too if I possibly can. We had two nice spring days and they were really swell but the wind is strong again tonight. The store lady said the official opening down at the Island here was about the 19th of April. It will be nice when the weather gets warm.
I sent Jim a package today which was a tin of fudge. I hope he will like it and I am going to write to him real often because I imagine he gets kind of homesick being away like that. I’m glad you folks had a nice time at Prest’s. We have certainly known them for a long time. I bet the trees up in the hills did look beautiful covered with snow because the day Stella and Harold and I went up there everything was covered with snow and I had never seen a more beautiful picture.
I had made two kimonos for the baby but Doris said they were way too big and the baby wouldn’t be able to wear them until next year so I’m not going to do much sewing so will appreciate the things you are sending very much and then I am going to order what I need through the catalogue or buy here at the stores. I am undecided yet as to buy a baby basket or a little crib that folds up and has wheels on it so can be pushed around. Gladys had one like that for Ruthie that the hotel furnished. We will probably have to start shipping most of the stuff we carry around in our car anyway because otherwise I don’t know where we will find room for anything more because we are always packed to the top now. Doris said she thinks the baby will come early if anything because she said she has noticed lately that my stomach has dropped down a lot. This Island at this time of the year is a swell place to be pregnant because I don’t have to dress up and can get by with just my smocks and Stella’s dress.
I am glad that Aunt Lily is back with Babe and Gerry. She will feel right at home there. When little Bernice stays all night how do you sleep. Does she kick Pop out of bed or does she sleep on the davenport? I don’t think Betty Chance or Anderson has been very homesick for Minneapolis yet because they both like it out there. The last time I heard from Betty she was planning on going to Minneapolis for her sister’s wedding sometime this month so I don’t know if she went or not.
Well Folks, we are going to bed pretty soon now so will stop but will write more tomorrow.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading