Saturday, October 25, 2008

311 2/17/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wednesday, February 17, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear folks:
I do not know how far I will get with this but I will try to write a letter. I have been kept more than busy doing work in other departments. Of course I like it because the time goes so much faster and anyway it is good experience.
Helen and I are still just fine and like the apartment better every day. It is work but we don’t seem to mind it.
We had a card day before yesterday but nothing yesterday. Today is Wednesday so I don’t suppose there will be anything until tomorrow.
Yesterday noon I bought some real nice material. It is a washable silk print. A blue background with white and navy through it. I will go home with Irma some night soon and get it started.
Eden has been working all week at Selma’s place. She is awfully glad to get the extra money but it is hard on her. She is awfully thin and looks to me sort of run down, but Wally is swell and helps her fix the dinner – then he does the dishes and cleans the house. He helps her with the washing and everything else.
Tonight I am going to see Cully again. We are going visiting over in St. Paul – will see Kenny and Lorna. We have not seen their apartment since they were married (New Year’s). It is Kenny that lent us the bedroom furniture that we are using. I will have to invite them over sometime so they can see our apartment too.
Last night I went out to Jensen’s. The men had all gone down to the auditorium to see the boxing tournament – (The Golden Glove or whatever it is) – so there was Clara, Mrs. Jensen, Addie and Mrs. Hustes and me. We had a lot of fun. Took turns playing cards – then Mrs. Jensen fixed a lovely lunch with shrimp salad and toast and cookies and coffee. When the men folks came home Mr. & Mrs. Hustis took me home. I certainly did appreciate it too. On our way we saw an old lady walking down the street in her nightgown and in her bare feet. It was after 12:30 at night. Some man came running after her and took her by the arm. I don’t know if it was some fellow just on his way home that saw her or if it was someone that belonged to her. It surely did scare me and made me shiver all over to see her. She must have been walking in her sleep or else was kind of demented and didn’t know what she was doing. It was quite a nice night but the wind was cold and the streets all icy so she couldn’t have been very warm.
Today it is stormy. It is snowing and the wind is whirling it all over. I hope it doesn’t get too cold before 4:30 because I want to walk home.
Helen and I fix real good meals every night and both eat like regular pigs. We can’t help but say, “If only the folks could see us now.”
Cully leaves town again next week. He is going to leave the car with me for at least part of the time. Addie and I will take it and drive up to Princeton one of the weekends. He said it was O.K. and was glad we could get up there. Now Clara and Vernie want to go along too. Clara hasn’t seen her folks since last Labor Day. If she can get through work on Saturday noon and if Vernie can arrange his appointments they will go.
I guess I will have to call this a letter and stop.
Love, Gladys
How is Aunt Lily and has she heard anything of Jack?

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading