Monday, November 17, 2008

595 5/24/1944 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Wednesday, May 24, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
As you know by now that Helen’s baby came before I got here so Helen did not meet me. When I got off the train I sensed something had happened.
Thursday
I did not get to write very far yesterday. Callers keep coming as the news gets out that Helen has had her baby.
A Mrs. Cully, wife of one of the men that worked with Elmer, took me to the hospital twice yesterday. Also to get the trunk and to send you and Stella a telegram. Everyone is very nice. I like it here. It is warm but always a good breeze. This place is in among large pecan trees. Some filbert bushes at the back.
The baby is lovely. Lots of dark hair. Is a fat little thing. Weighed 7 lbs, 11 oz.
When I got to DeQuincy I looked for Helen. The bus for Lake Charles was filling fast. I waited until the last one got on. Then when I got to the depot here I called a taxi. It came right away, by the time I got my suitcase to the sidewalk. Everyone tells me they usually have to wait an hour. Mrs. Gillard, Helen’s landlady, came down the stairs to meet me. Told me about the baby and that Helen was fine. Helen had gotten up at four Tuesday morning, but would not waken them. At 7:30, when they got up, they saw Helen sitting on the stairs leading upstairs to this apartment. These people live right next door. They think Helen is wonderful and are crazy about little Jimmie. Mrs. Gillard had taken care of him all day and until I came. At 7:30 A.M. they called the doctor and took Helen to the hospital. An hour later Mary Helen was born. An ambulance will bring Helen home today. She looks fine and feels fine. Mrs. Cully was allowed to stay in Helen’s room until Helen came from the receiving room. When they wheeled Helen in she had her baby in her arms. They tagged the baby before taking her to the nursery so not to make a mistake. The doctor and nurses think it was wonderful the way Helen got along.
The trip from Kansas City down was hard. Could not get a sleeper. The lady with the baby, two soldiers and I shared a double seat. The baby cried a lot. It was hot and everyone was tired. At Shreveport the lady and baby changed trains for Alexandria. I took the younger soldier out for dinner. A very good one too for only 50 cents. From there to Leesville, more than 3 ½ hours ride, the train was full of soldiers standing. Twice our train broke apart and the engine had to come back after us.
There is a large air field here. Planes fly over us night and day and make a lot of noise.
Had a letter from Gladys from Minneapolis today. She sent me 5.00 which Dorothy Fernstrom gave her for the lawn mower I sold them more than 8 years ago.
Everyone thinks it was awful someone did not meet me. The Cullys wanted to, also Elmer’s boss, but the Gillards would not let them because Mr. Gillard said he was going to. Mrs. Gillard came over here to put Jimmie to bed and to wait for me. Mr. Gillard went to sleep and did not wake up until she came home after I had arrived. Mrs. Cully said Elmer worried about Helen and hated to leave her alone. Mrs. Cully sent him a wire yesterday morning. Helen wrote him a letter which I mailed last night. Helen was very glad to see me and am glad I came.
Hope you are getting along fine Pop. I write the letters to you, but also expect Stella to read them.
When I got here both my feet and legs were swollen like a table leg. Could hardly get my shoes off. It was caused from the heat and sitting so long a time. I had a hot bath that night, slept swell and my feet are fine again.
Jimmie has grown. Is a nice boy. He is waiting for little baby Tommie. When I tell him the baby is Mary Helen he says, “no, Tommie”. At first Helen was real disappointed because it was a girl.
With love, Sadie

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading