Sunday, July 5, 2009

11/23/1980 Helen Carlson to Ruth Erwin

Dear Ruth and Jim,

It was nice of you to call the other day and I wrote you a letter but tore it up the next day. I will tell you why in a few minutes.

First – Mary and Diane are moving back here the first of January, into their Mercer Island house. Mike comes here often so it probably will work out O.K., I hope. I don’t know where Mike plans to live when Mary leaves.

Anyway, Harold ordered twenty dollars of wood for the cabin from Joel Allen. I offered to pay my half but Harold said no, but if we used some we could pay him. He asked Joel to put a sign on the logs “Do Not Touch.” This past Tuesday Stella and I went to Enumclaw to see Minnie Prest as she was recuperating from an accident she had had in her home. We stopped at the store first and saw Gary. Linda was there also, so I talked to her, of course, but I didn’t have a chance to tell Gary about the wood. Anyway, after seeing Minnie, Stella and I drove up to the cabin and to logs were there with a sign, “Do Not Touch, For Bensons and Carlsons Only.” I am telling you this so you can let Gary know I didn’t have anything to do about it. With $20.00 worth of logs there, which I didn’t count, I don’t know how much each log should cost. Gary is welcome to my share. It was freezing in the cabin, but there were some big chunks by the fireplace and kindling, so I know Gary donated it and I really wish he would use the cabin. He always calls, but Stella is the one to check with. Anyway, the river is high and working on our bank.

Bensons were at a cocktail party at Nell’s a couple of weeks ago and a man who lives up there said he would pay $25,000.00 for the cabin. I don’t know what it is worth. I’ll talk to you more about this later.

On Dec. 15th, Monday, I am having the Christmas luncheon and I hope you and Patti can come. I can’t very well invite Linda also.

Lillian and Cully are coming for Thanksgiving and Ruthie insists they stay with her. I wonder how that would work out. Elmer and I are going to Benson’s, but we are going out of town for Christmas.

This ends the gossipy letter and I hope to see you soon.

Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading