Wednesday, December 3, 2008

263 10/14/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Saturday, October 14, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I'm typing at home again for General Mills as they are so busy with Christmas orders. I have the time now that Jimmy and Mary are both in school all day and it will be fun to be earning a little money again. Just this week I made almost 20 dollars and it didn't take me more than three hours any day to do the typing. One day I finished in an hour and a half because I had all easy orders. I could make five dollars a day but that is so much work that I am giving my neighbor half of the work as she is anxious to earn some extra money. I think she will quit pretty soon though because it takes her much longer to type than it does me. It is fine with me if she quits because then I just won't take so much typing. I can easily do 300 a day which is 3 dollars. Now I have been typing 250 a day and Betty has been typing the other 250 per day.
We are having beautiful fall days but it is spoiled by the sight of everyone getting on the storms. Elmer took our screens off today and washed the windows and tomorrow plans to put on the storms.
I enjoyed the afternoon with Mr. Ellsworth the other day but it is kind of hard to converse with her the whole afternoon. She hopes to go to California with Fred the latter part of October but now he is undecided so she doesn't know yet for sure if she will get there or not. It would be nice if she did get to go so she could get away from Leila for a few months.
You get after Stella to mail that letter she wrote to me because I still haven't gotten it.
I can imagine how mad Gladys is at the Dahlstroms. She doesn't know the half of it and I'm really afraid to say a word, really, because it wouldn't do any good and just cause a lot of trouble. One thing about Ralph, he is young and that is probably why he didn't have sense enough to keep from talking so much when he got back. He did as much talking as the rest of them while he was here so I can't imagine why he blames it on the others. Don't tell Gladys any of this because it will just make her furious and if she writes and mentions any of it to Mrs. Dahlstrom, well Mrs. Dahlstrom will just call me up and bawl me out and rave on about everything. Anyway, Mrs. D. said she was so mad at Gladys for making Ralph hurry back and she said she was going to tell Gladys what she thought about her when she saw her. That was when the kids were still planning to come so I was glad when they changed their plans. She also said that Ralph was getting paid so little that he practically had no money at all, in fact he was almost broke when he was here and she even had to pay his insurance bill. She said she told Ralph that if the kids were mean to him when he got back there he should just quit. But a lot of that is Ralph's fault because to hear him talk, he is just worked to death and has to do everything and doesn't get any sleep or relaxation and can't enjoy the fireplace in the office or get any knitting done. Mrs. D. seems to blame everything on Gladys so whenever I can get a word in edgewise I tell her to remember that Cully must have something to do with it all too. I'm sure they all had a great time talking it all over with Edna and Ockie and feeling sorry for Ralph, although Ralph put on the big shot act when he was over here but I didn't mind because he doesn't mean anything to me anyway.
This Monday night I'm having the sewing club and will be glad when that is over with. I'm due to have the baby in about four weeks but hope it doesn't come any sooner as I'm anxious to get a lot of typing done. The kids are at the matinee and Elmer is listening to the ball game so I'm going to have a short nap now and I'll write more soon.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading