Sunday, November 30, 2008

160 5/2/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Sunday, May 02, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just finished my typing and it is pretty late but I want to write a few lines to you and tell you about our afternoon with Agnes. She had us out for 1 o'clock dinner as Verna and Ruth and their families were there. Ruth and Eldred had bought a new car so drove down to see Agnes. They left home at 5:30 and got here in time to have breakfast at Agneses at 7:30. Ruth has a nice family. Her oldest boy is eleven and almost as big as Ruth. The other two boys are towheads and all of them are nice looking. Ruth looks the same as ever. I think Verna is especially nice and liked her very, very much. Her little boy is awfully good looking. He has red hair. You saw him though didn't you mother. I think Verna looks real good. She has put on a lot of weight and it makes her look very nice. She has electricity in her place now which makes everything much easier for her. Aunt Annie has been down in bed for the last three weeks. Verna said her dad waits on her hand and foot and it is so hard on him because Annie is getting rather childish and fusses a lot. The doctors even said all she needed was a good rest but she has decided she is really sick. She wanted sleeping pills so the doctor prescribed some for her. She took them for a while and then decided she needed stronger ones. The doctor said she really didn't need any but if she insisted he would give her stronger ones. (He must be some quack). Anyway now Annie is taking these strong pills and they are so strong they make her head feel funny. Verna told her dad he absolutely had to quit giving them to her. She told him to get her some pills that were just sugar and water and they would satisfy her just as much if she thought they were strong ones. Annie doesn't want to see anyone. Even Agnes wrote and said she would be up Mother's Day but Annie doesn't even want to see her. She told Verna to tell Agnes if she comes she could just run in and see her for a few minutes and that was all. Verna said Annie is still worrying about Ruth, Agnes and herself for not turning over to the other religion.
Verna too thought Mary looked exactly like Gladys when she was little so there must be a strong family resemblance. I saw Bill Corl Saturday and he said both our kids were definitely Erwins.
Monday: It is a rainy day out today and I love it. Jimmy has gone to school and I am going to do some ironing and then go shopping when Jimmy comes from school. Saturday night we are having a shower for Dolores, Bob's wife. The baby is due in four weeks but I think she will have it sooner.
I was glad to hear about your trip to Portland. I'm glad you could go too Pop. Your coat sounds lovely mother. I know you looked awfully nice. I'm glad you had such a swell time at the Progressive Club, or rather, the Garden Club. It was fun reading about how much you enjoyed it.
Well my iron is hot so I better stop right now folks, but I will write more real soon.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading