Wednesday, November 26, 2008

643 4/30/1945 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Monday, April 30, 1945
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
it is cold but the sun is shining so I hope my clothes will dry. After a whole month of furnace fires I suppose when it does warm up it will get so hot we can hardly stand it.
Our housecleaning is coming along pretty good. Today the dry cleaners are coming for our big rug. It sure is filthy. This week Cully will wash the ceilings while I clean the wallpaper and do the woodwork and floors.
I had dinner for the 6 of us Saturday night. We still did not go to the Barn Dance but definitely are going in two weeks – May 12th. Will go to Kaspar’s for dinner first. We are making the rounds. I was lucky enough to get a real nice pot roast. Betty made the salad and I had beets and corn, potatoes and gravy and apple pie for dessert.
Fido Purpur left Thursday. He is a dandy kid and seemed to enjoy his stay. Of course as usual after company we were all tired out so went to bed early Thursday and Friday nights.
I just wonder if Beth won’t go west now to be near his sisters – especially so long as Harriet is married and away. I hope she will not bother you folks.
I’ll enclose a couple gas coupons for you. If at anytime you need any for something special do not hesitate to ask. Cully drives very little now that hockey is over. He takes the car one day a week so he can get our meat from Tom O’Donnell. I go to the store only once or twice and many times walk.
Tell Stella I will write to her soon. When you write again will you send me her new address? I only owe 34 letters at present. I guess I will have to drop a few of them. Some are to hockey players I haven’t seen in years, Roberta in Tacoma – also Lucille. I never know what to write anyway and think it better to spend any extra time I have writing to Jim and Wally. Wally is coming home May 5th on his last furlough before going overseas. I imagine it will be to the Pacific. We are waiting to hear at any minute that the European war has ended. More soon.
Love, Gladys
Please send me Uncle Carl’s address in Portland. I plan to write Aunt Mary, Ruth and Carl soon and send them each a picture of the girls. I took some of the smallest ones out of the folders to enclose along with letters.
Cully said if you cannot use these gas coupons with the license number on send them back. After this next no. A16 comes due we can send more.
My washing dried and I just finished folding the towels, underwear, etc. Tomorrow I hope to get all the ironing done. The forecast is freezing again tonight and here tomorrow is the 1st of May.
Hope you have received your box by now.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading