Wednesday, December 3, 2008

217 7/25/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Tuesday, July 25, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:

It's another nice rainy cool night. The temperature at night has been going down to the 50's.
I suppose there is a lot of war activity going on in Seattle. It sure is a worry but maybe it won't go too far. You folks should buy a cabin up in the mountains now in case they start fighting over here. Jan Martin's sister and brother-in-law live in Korea and Jan's mother went out about two or three months ago to visit and they are still there.
Eden and Wally and their girls stopped over Sunday night as they had been over at Eden's mother's. Mrs. Pope is looking for a little house which doesn't cost too much as she would like to sell her big house and have a little left over to put in the bank.
Friday night Ruth Recroft called and wanted to know if they could come over for a game of bridge. I told them to come along so they did and they brought along some coke and a carton of cokes. When we play cards with them Elmer and Ruth are partners and Ray and I are. Elmer just can't stand to be Ruth's partner because she makes so many dumb mistakes so I suggested this time that she and I take our own husbands as partners so we did and it turned out that Ruth and Ray sat and fought most of the evening. I guess I'll have to try being Ruth's partner next time.

Mother, remember this Parry Bonander, my neighbor, who had you and Ruth and I over for coffee? I like her a lot but she started to be a second Selma in asking me to take care of her little boy all the time and also asking me to drive her all over town. I did it for quite a while until it got to be too much of a good thing and one day Mary and I sat in the car for an hour and a half while she bought groceries. After that I quit helping her out one single bit. I think she caught on right away, though, because she hasn't asked a thing of me for quite some time and she has been bringing over all kinds of plants and flowers for the yard and she weeded our flower garden and has a bassinette and all kinds of baby things she said I could have. Maybe it's just a bribe, I don't know.

Well Folks I'll stop again for this time but will write more soon.

Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading