Tuesday, November 4, 2008

431 2/25/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Wednesday, February 25, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

My dear Helen,
Well, I am home from church, eaten a lunch and listened to the 10 o’clock news.
Stella came over to fix my hair tonight. Everyone is fine there. Bernice did not feel so good this morning, but is O.K. now. Little Sandra sleeps all night now. Last night from 8 to 8 this morning.
I meant to put a ribbon on the new blue jacket I sent, but forgot to get it and did not want to wait any longer before sending the package.
What did you hear from your tire you sent to have repaired? Hope it was not in the fire you read about. If it was, maybe they can replace it some way. We are so glad to have any new tires. Try to save on them all we can. I even walk to the P.O. and over to Stella’s now.
How much does Elmer have to pay for haircuts there? Here they charge 65¢ and I think that is terrible. At Pullman Jim pays 50¢ so he waited at Christmas time for a haircut until he got back over there.
We have been enjoying some very fine Columbia River smelts. Schweigles and ___ went down near Kelso last weekend to visit a cousin. While there they went to the river with a net around a hoop and got all the smelts they wanted. Brought back 100 lbs, and gave all their friends some. Mrs. Schweigle brought me about 4 or 5 lbs of them. I still have enough left for a meal of them tomorrow. She said the water was just thick with them. They stood on the shore and each time they dipped the net in brought out 8 to 10 lbs of fish.
Gladys wrote that there was a possibility of them going to California as soon as the Hawks are through playing there this spring. Said the Hawks were offered a chance to play 7 exhibition games in Southern California, and the boys were willing to go. That it was all up to Paul Thompson, the manager, whether they went or not. If they do it will not be possible for them to go to Florida as planned. She also said if they should play hockey next year perhaps I could ride back with them in the Fall to see you folks and the baby. I’ll not try to come this spring, however.
It will be a big help if you can get a school girl or someone to work a few hours each day for a week or two after coming home with the baby.
I have been trying to find out what time it gets light here in the morning. You see it is light when I get up. If it is raining then it stays dark longer too. Papa says he thinks he turns off the lights about 7:30 war time.
I like to hear about the ocean and the waves. I can picture your island, your cottage, beach and sand. Something about the ocean, especially when it is wrought, holds one’s interest. I am sure you and Elmer will never forget your experience of living on the island. It is grand you have had this opportunity to live there and hope you can stay for the summer at least. If you like it now you are going to like it even better when the nice weather comes. I understand the Atlantic Ocean is warmer to bathe in than the Pacific. Out here it is like ice water the year round.
I am glad you liked the apron. It should look nice on you because you wear blue and blue is becoming to you. Sorry I could not find more long stockings. It still seems there should be a pair of light tan ones here. If I find them later will send them.
Yes, I know I should be careful about picking up men when driving alone, but this one I picked up the day I came from Ellensburg was only a young lad about like Jim. We had seen him when we went over there and at least an hour and a half later, when I returned, he was still needing a ride. I past him at first, then knew if it was right to pick him up that I would. About ½ mile further I turned around, went back and got him. He really was a nice kid. I even let him drive across the pass for me. I didn’t mind driving it, but thought perhaps he would like to and knew it had been real icy at the summit when we came across.
Sandra seems to like home best of all. When Stella brings her over she brings the basket. Sandra some times sleeps, but as a rule she is not so good away from home. She took some pictures of her, but they are not very good. She really is a nice baby. Her eyes are a clear dark blue. I am sure they will not change to brown.
It is nearly eleven-thirty. I think the fire is out so will go to bed. Much love – Mother.
Thursday morning
Hello folks – while I am waiting for the coffee to boil I will write a few lines.
Isn’t there very much work around there for the boys to do. I am asking because you write as though you would be moving this summer. I hope you don’t have to. It would be swell if mother or more of us could come and see you this spring.
Well we have had a couple of days of colder weather, but it seems to be cloudy this morning.
Well I will have to eat and shove and get to work. Carl G___ is on his vacation this week. Mr. Mills who has been with us a few months is going to move back to Pasco March 15th. Fred Koenig will come off the truck and young Shiplione will do the delivering.
Love, Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading