Monday, November 17, 2008

597 5/25/1944 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, May 25, 1944
Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Sadie,
We were very glad to get your telegram yesterday and to learn that the Carlsons now have a little girl and that everything was well. We will no doubt have a letter Saturday giving all the details.
I had a can of lima beans and some stewed tomatoes, bread and butter, and tea for supper and got good and full. After eating I thought that I would read a while on the couch. I rested from 6:30 until about 7:30 when Stella called. I was awake when she called.
My feet are giving me a lot of trouble. I can hardly bear to touch them but after having my shoes on a while I can get around but slow. I know that it must be all mind but I just can’t break it up. For about an hour this forenoon, everything seemed to be ok. I could step right out and walk. I felt then that you were working for me. Then things went bad again. When I got off the bus this evening could hardly get home and have had trouble getting around the house. I certainly wish that I could get on top of this. I would like to write you a letter that wasn’t nearly all grief.
Well tomorrow I will get my first full check in a long time. Next Tuesday we will get time and half.
Leo told me the other day that he might still get the lead man job on our crew.
Old friend George Kalin must be out on a big drinking spree. He hasn’t been down this week and hasn’t called up to say that he is sick.
Tony and I have been quite busy. We sometimes forget that we have two other fellows making our kind of flanges, but we will see that they get some of the work.
I don’t think that I will go out to Prests next Sunday evening. It would be quite late before I got to bed.
Well now that the baby arrived a week early I expect that you folks will drive to Knoxville. Was Helen able to get the car fixed up? Will she be leaving the hospital in ten days.
I don’t want to brag but I think that my writing is getting smoother. I don’t get time to read much in the paper now days, look at the funnies and read front page headlines and then put in the closet. I will save them all in order for you. There doesn’t seem to be much more to write tonight.
O, yes, Jim Brown says that the tower in the Memorial Park is 600 ft high. They charge 25¢ to take you up. Did you go up.
I hope that you didn’t get too tired on the trip Kansas City to Lake Charles. Are you going to let Mrs. Ellsworth know that you are down in her country.
Well I will get the car out and go to the post office also somewhere and get a small loaf of bread. I guess this is Jack’s last week as a private citizen. Mabel hasn’t been to work this week. They were out front next door in his car a long time, they were there when I got home.
Well goodnight with lots of love to you and Helen and the kids. What does Jimmie think now.
Pop
P.S. Please continue to work for me and write me something. Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading