Sunday, November 30, 2008

165 6/1/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Tuesday, June 01, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Elmer and George are busy painting the outside windows and the kids are playing so I will write to you. I had my luncheon today and everything seemed to be successful. There were nine children but they all behaved beautifully and didn't cause a bit of trouble. I have been reading about the terrible floods out there. Isn't it just terrible? Here we are having such a terrible dry spell that everyone's lawns are drying up.
Mary just loves that soft woolly doll you sent her. She has it with her all the time. I got your note yesterday and was glad to hear from you. I had a letter from Gladys today and she said you were feeling fine, mother, but you had lost your appetite and were losing weight. Now I am worried about you as that isn't a bit natural for you not to have an appetite. Maybe if your weather has turned hot that is what is the matter. Let me know how everything is.
It still seems wonderful to be through with the typing job. Now I still keep busy all the time so I can't see now how I squeezed in eight hours of typing every day.
We didn't do much of anything over the holiday. Elmer and George did a lot of work around the house. Monday night we went to Lake Harriet for our picnic supper. Tomorrow (Wed.) Elmer works late so the kids and I are going to Harriet again for the afternoon and our supper. Selma and her two girls are going with us. As long as there are parks and lakes around so close by, I'm going to make good use of them and the children enjoy things like that so much.
I haven't gotten the picture of Gary yet. I heard from Ruth some time ago saying she was sending it. I hope it hasn't been lost.
Thursday George leaves for the Black Hills. He will be gone about three or four weeks. His wife is anxious to get here as soon as school is out, and George has had several leads on places to rent but so far hasn't been able to rent a place.
Last Friday night we were over to Warnie Martin's house, and we stayed home Saturday night and then Sunday night we were invited over to Recroft's, they are the ones from Atlanta, for bridge. Day after tomorrow is my bridge party. George painted the top of my card table with green enamel and it looks just swell.
We have a mother's club in our neighborhood and we had our second meeting last week. There was a speaker there to tell us how to raise our children and she was very interesting.
Mother you remember Eva Olson don't you? She was at my luncheon yesterday. She has three girls and she had the baby with her. She married a nice fellow and they are getting along fine. She said a few years ago when their first child was a baby they were so poor and her husband couldn't get a good job so they packed up in their old car and drove out to Seattle and arrived out there with just a dollar left. She said she thought of you folks in Enumclaw and would have loved to see you but they were so broke and didn't have decent clothes. They got a room and her husband got some kind of a job and when things didn't break any better for them they drove back here as soon as they saved enough money for gas. Now her husband is doing real well as a grain salesman for Pillsbury and they have a house out in St. Louis Park, about a five minute ride from my house.
Well Folks, I had better stop for now but I am anxious to hear if you are all fine and I'll write more soon.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading