Wednesday, October 29, 2008

364 12/3/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Saturday, December 03, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
It is a regular Washington winter day. The temperature is about 40° and it is raining hard.
I was glad to get your letter and also the one from Stella. In fact I enjoyed her letter so much I wish we could write more often. Tell her I will answer it next week. Cully leaves Monday morning so should have lots of time.
I felt like a million Thursday in my new coat. I bought a real cute hat too. It is high with a feather. I had lots of compliments and Cully said he wasn’t sorry I bought the outfit. We couldn’t bank a cent this payday but will make up for it after Christmas.
Kind of keep your eyes open for a nice little business that we could start next spring. Will you also find out how much the cabins at Greenwater cost – rent per month or summer. I think we will want to live in the mountains.
I enjoyed the Monitor article. Yes, the Nelson girls are from Minneapolis. I don’t know just where they lived but the one you mention on Garfield is the cousin who skated with them. I met her in L.A. She is married now and living in Boston.
If I’m out there all next summer I think I will join the Garden Club.
How was the Boy Scout play? Evidently Jim is still a Boy Scout. Does he ever wear the suit?
Mother, if you don’t get back here this year maybe next winter you can come for sure. We can all help out and you can spend a long time in Chicago with me. We’d surely have lots of fun. You’d enjoy the hockey games too – unless you thought they were too rough. Most fans like fights, etc. but I certainly don’t. The skating is beautiful. I don’t see how they can go so fast – backwards and all.
Cully is feeling fine again. They lost Thursday but all hope to win the Sunday game. Thursday’s game was awful. None of the boys did very well.
Tonight we are going to have lamb chops and broil them. I hope I like the taste. We have a wonderful butcher shop. This Tom is a great hockey fan and practically gives us our meat. We all give him passes once in a while to even it up. I’m getting to feel at home around the corner. The cop always speaks to me and my grocery store clerks know me by name. I really do like it here a lot.
Cully will be coming home soon so I’ll stop and make out my grocery list, etc. We get the best clam chowder. There are no clams in it but it has the flavor. We are going to buy a whole case. It is the Monarch brand. They sell for 3 for 29¢. Certainly is cheap enough. We have soup, lemonade and sandwiches every noon for lunch.
Love to all, Gladys.
Cully’s sister and brother-in-law plan to come to Chicago over New Years. I don’t believe I’ll go to Minneapolis for Christmas. It would cost me around $25.00 all together. I don’t mind staying here anyway.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading