Wednesday, November 26, 2008

47 10/20/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Friday, October 20, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Friday Night
Dear Folks,
We are waiting for the Deans to come over and play bridge so Elmer is reading to Jimmie before he puts him to bed. I was supposed to get my hair fixed tonight and went down there but they were so far behind in their appointments that I left. Elmer did the dishes though so that's a help. The beauty shop is just down the road from us now so is convenient.
Do you folks know anyone who can play chess. I think it will be terribly hard to learn from a book. I was looking at a beginner's book at the drug store and it sounded kind of complicated. I know you will like the game though if you can once get on to it. First you have to learn the names of all the pieces and how they move. I can tell you all that and explain the best I can and will also send you a book. More people are coming up here all the time that we knew either in Lake Charles or Monroe.
Thursday I went shopping and Mrs. Grubb stayed with Mary. Mrs. Grubb is awfully nice and only charges 25 cents an hour where Mary Frances charged 35 cents.
Tuesday Edith and I are going into Knoxville and I'm going to buy a coat as I haven't any at all. Mrs. Grubb will stay with Mary and Jimmie and I won't have to worry about them at all.
The Smoky Mountains are well-named. Even on perfectly clear days like last Sunday there was a cloud all around them. Mary has had a tooth almost through for quite awhile but it still hasn't pushed through. This soft coal is terrible. The diapers and everything get black with soot when out on the line. I left some clothes out on the line overnight last night and had to wash them over again this morning as there wasn't a clean spot on them.
If I could vote I am sure it would be for Dewey although I think this time Roosevelt can be considered on account of the war being on, don't you. I wonder how the election will turn out.
Sunday
Here it is Sunday night and I haven't finished your letter but will now and Elmer can mail it in the morning. We had a nice time with the Deans Friday night. Saturday I felt kind of bad with a cold and Saturday night we were invited to a party over at Davies. We didn't go and used my cold as an excuse but I really didn't feel that bad but we just didn't feel like going over there. I never see Betty anymore but one day last week I did stop by for her and took her to the laundry. When I brought her back home she said one day this week she was coming over early and spend the whole afternoon. That doesn't sound a bit good to me.
Jimmie Taurek who was the superintendent on the job in Monroe is up here now. He came up for an interview and is staying with the Browns. This afternoon they all came over. Elmer likes Jimmie Taurek so much as he was such a swell boss to have in Monroe. I asked Mrs. Brown to go to Knoxville with us Tuesday and she said she would like to. She asked how you were Mom. Mom are you still menstruating like you were when here. Tell me how you feel and Pop too. I would write more but should write to Jim so will write more tomorrow.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading